Combating Spam

/ Combating Spam #1  

ultrarunner

Epic Contributor
SF Bay Area-Ca Olympia WA Salzburg Austria
Tractor
Cat D3, Deere 110 TLB, Kubota BX23 and L3800 and RTV900 with restored 1948 Deere M, 1949 Farmall Cub, 1953 Ford Jubliee and 1957 Ford 740 Row Crop, Craftsman Mower, Deere 350C Dozer 50 assorted vehicles from 1905 to 2006
Perhaps a minimum post count before member can post a link would curb the uptick of one post new members spamming TBN?

Even a low count of say 10 posts would help...

/ Combating Spam #2  
I assume all of those CBD type posts are done by bots......probably have to start using Captcha to eliminate them

/ Combating Spam #3  
'Post Moderation'

All posts from new members go into a holding area for review and approval before appearing publicly. After 2, 3, maybe 5 approved posts, they become full members.

Of course, you have to have enough Mods active on an hourly basis to approve/deny posts so legitimate new members don't have to wait very long for help.

/ Combating Spam #4  
Perhaps a minimum post count before member can post a link would curb the uptick of one post new members spamming TBN?

Even a low count of say 10 posts would help...
I don't agree.

It's not a problem for a member to simply "report" a posting and then post a 'reported' so that other members aren't caught up with it. I do it often as my time-zone seems to be a primary posting time for these spams.

The recent Gummie Bear or Keto diet spams are blatant. Other 'trojan' postings are usually just as suspect... once 'reported', Catherine or the Mods, can make a determination. Otherwise, making it difficult for potential, real, new Members is detrimental to what TBN is all about.

/ Combating Spam #5  
once 'reported', Catherine or the Mods, can make a determination.
Which leaves the posts viewable for several hours since none of the mods are typically here during the overnight/early morning hours.

And this isn't a new issue (posted Aug 28, 2018):

/ Combating Spam #6  
I am using a linux operating system, running ghostery ad blocker. This seems to block spam effectively. BUT when I switch to Windows 10 the ad blocker is far less effective.

/ Combating Spam #7  
I use an IPhone 8+ with an ad blocker. I don't get any spam or ads on my phone. I do see, of course, the spam postings on the forums.

/ Combating Spam #8  
Time to start blocking by IP and by ISP and VPN providors. They also tend to overuse "fake" domains in their email addresses.

/ Combating Spam #9  
I assume all of those CBD type posts are done by bots......probably have to start using Captcha to eliminate them
GAD!! Please not Captcha!!
One camera site I frequent uses that and I'm constantly getting problems logging in.

I generally come in to TBN via a link to the forums and go directly to New Posts, I have not been seeing the one post wonders.

/ Combating Spam #10  
GAD!! Please not Captcha!!
One camera site I frequent uses that and I'm constantly getting problems logging in.

I generally come in to TBN via a link to the forums and go directly to New Posts, I have not been seeing the one post wonders.

that's what I do too; just look at new posts first.

I'm up at 3 am and skim through them while having my coffee. There were alot of those CBD posts this morning. They are gone now.