common Redpole feeding

/ common Redpole feeding #1  

ArlyA

Houghton MI (the Lake Superior snow belt) USA
Tractor
Polaris Boss 6x6 with pods (tracks) Center actuating lawn mower by Husky
The Redpoles are passing through here and I swear, we have the only black niger feeder for them! My lame photos don't do justice since it doesn't show them on the snow feeding and in the tree, waiting there turn. Are they at your feeder? They drain this feeder about 1/2 of it, per day.

Attachments

• P1020448.jpg
    P1020448.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 183
  • P1020453.jpg
    P1020453.jpg
    377.2 KB · Views: 133
   / common Redpole feeding #2  
Thanks for posting.

I had to look up redpolls, as I have never seen them to my knowledge. The adult male is a "look alike" for a house finch, which I do see. Last winter I had numerous house finches around my sunflower seed feeder, but I haven't noticed them this season.

Steve

/ common Redpole feeding
   / common Redpole feeding #4  
Last edited:
   / common Redpole feeding #5  
Thanks for sharing. Some years we see flocks of them and some years we do not. This year they have not seen any (yet). They are pretty "tame" at the feeder.

/ common Redpole feeding #6  
WoW!! I don't think we get that kind of bird over here in the PNW - at least, not right here. That's a mob scene - not a feeding scene. The Audubon web site suggest that the Redpole in an uncommon winter visitor in this area. I'm right on the very western edge of their winter range.

/ common Redpole feeding
The photos don't show the larger volume of Redpoles in the trees and on the ground, at the same time I took this one. It seems to be quite a large flock that passes through. I suspect they recall our feeder, so they stop for a snack going north, and south in the fall. Our yellow finches, who are common at our feeders and stay here year around, get pushed out.

Thanks to everyone for there kind comments.

/ common Redpole feeding #8  
Redpolls like thistle seed (niger) - Look for Common Redpoll vs Hoary Redpoll. (some debate they are actually related). We get them in central Maine during the winters, late fall.
Nice bird, nice photos! - twittering calls draw your attention to look up! - Irruptions bird from up north - you see them when they come south looking for food.

Friend of mine (minister + avid birder) took in a displaced kid one year. The kid slept with his window open during the winter. After a time common redpolls would come into the room and sleep the night - avoiding the real cold!

Good article:
What Northern Bird Species Will Show Up at Your Feeder This Year? Cool Green Science

Last edited:
   / common Redpole feeding #9  
We get similar inundations of Gold Finches...The sounds from the surrounding trees/cover is nothing short of a pleasant cacophony...

/ common Redpole feeding #10  
We get similar inundations of Gold Finches...The sounds from the surrounding trees/cover is nothing short of a pleasant cacophony...
:laughing::laughing: