Common sense and GPS?

/ Common sense and GPS? #41  
I tend to look at a map of my planned trip on the computer and see if I can memorize the route before I leave the house. I also look at a detailed area of my destination so I have some idea of what I'm getting into. Then I see if the GPS will take me on the same route. It's kind of a hobby.

A kind of interesting thing happened to me on my last trip, however. We went to Oklahoma a few months ago, to see one of our kids in Stillwater. This is probably only the third time I've taken a trip West much past St. Louis by car. All other trips have been east. Kid lives on the SW side of Stillwater. It took me a couple days to get comfortably oriented in my brain. I knew where I was, but really had to picture the map in my head and the location of the house in relation to the rest of the town. It was kinda interesting to be in a place and space I was not familiar with. It always seemed like I was leaving in the wrong direction. Even the sun was at a different angle. By 3rd day I was fine and quite comfortable.

I wonder if it was a sign of aging, or just being out of my element? I never felt uncomfortable, just unsure until I pulled up the mental picture of where I started from and where I was going. It didn't help that the rental car didn't have a compass. I guess I never realized how much I relied on the compass while driving until it was unavailable.

Moss, you aren't alone with your direction shortcoming. I have the very same problem, even inside my own house. In my mind, every road, every building, should all be oriented perfectly North, South, East or West. And the sun should always come up exactly in the East and set exactly in due West. Ah... some of us like a simplier life, right?

What I have learned though is to NEVER go hunting, either in the woods or in the desert without a compass. I've learned my lesson about that, but then that's another story.

/ Common sense and GPS? #42  
Moss, you aren't alone with your direction shortcoming. I have the very same problem, even inside my own house. In my mind, every road, every building, should all be oriented perfectly North, South, East or West. And the sun should always come up exactly in the East and set exactly in due West. Ah... some of us like a simplier life, right?

What I have learned though is to NEVER go hunting, either in the woods or in the desert without a compass. I've learned my lesson about that, but then that's another story.

There is a hilltop on my neighbors property that will get me walking in circles if I am not careful. Got disoriented more than once,...Now imagine getting on that hilltop after dark while tracking a deer.

/ Common sense and GPS? #43  
I have done a lot of driving in my work. When I started there was no GPS. I used paper maps to find where I needed to go. I really enjoy the simplicity of GPS now that it has become more accurate. I still check the entire route and find the location on the phone map to make sure I know where it is located and all the main roads needed to get there.

What I live is when I call a customer trying to get there address so I can come to their house. Some just refuse to give me there address because GPS will take you to the wrong place. Then I get directions by landmarks with not a single road name, distance, or even their house number. I understand GPS has it wrong but I can read and follow road signs if they are there and if the signs aren’t they are labeled mostly correct on software maps. And I like to know I’m pulling up at the right house by the house number because getting shot at isn’t fun.

/ Common sense and GPS? #44  
I have done a lot of driving in my work. When I started there was no GPS. I used paper maps to find where I needed to go. I really enjoy the simplicity of GPS now that it has become more accurate. I still check the entire route and find the location on the phone map to make sure I know where it is located and all the main roads needed to get there.

What I live is when I call a customer trying to get there address so I can come to their house. Some just refuse to give me there address because GPS will take you to the wrong place. Then I get directions by landmarks with not a single road name, distance, or even their house number. I understand GPS has it wrong but I can read and follow road signs if they are there and if the signs aren’t they are labeled mostly correct on software maps. And I like to know I’m pulling up at the right house by the house number because getting shot at isn’t fun.

I'll generally use a map to get me into the general neighborhood of where I'm going, then use the GPS to navigate the "final mile". Don't really need turn-by-turn directions for 100 miles, only for what isn't clear on a map.

A few years ago a trucker followed his GPS down the Schafer Trail in Canyonlands National Park, Utah. It’s a Jeep trail with a 1000ft drop off that switch backs down the cliff. He couldn’t make it and had to disconnect the trailer. He had his back wheels dangling off the cliff trying to turn around.

And it didn't occur to the driver that a narrow dirt road might not be the best way to get where he's going?

/ Common sense and GPS? #45  

One thing about Indiana is that there's rarely NOT a road exactly every 1 mile north south or east west. About the only exceptions are if a river made it too expensive to build a bridge. It's pretty darn hard to get lost in any woods or field around here for more than about 20 minutes. :laughing:

/ Common sense and GPS?
In areas where the PLSS (public land survey system) was used the roads were usually built on the section lines and 1/4 section lines. That does make it a lot easier to know which way is north. Being a land surveyor I tend to need to know which way is north. My house sits at an angle too.

/ Common sense and GPS? #47  
Always amazes me how many Adults don't know which way North is. I guess it would be worse if they know North but not which way East was.

I remember, prior to having a compass, watching out for Sat dishes on farm houses to get my bearings. Sun going down helped too, except you knew you had little time to get your bearings.

HATE when roads don't go North-South or East West and that's where you want to go. All the roads in this region are askew, and you have to zig zag never knowing which route is shortest and making any turn always has you going in the wrong direction.

/ Common sense and GPS? #48  
Blame the French on roads that follow geographic features VS straight roads in north America.

/ Common sense and GPS? #49  
I realize most phones have the capability these days...but it was not that long ago a basic GPS system could be had by just buying a (bluetooth) receiver on e-bay for less than $25 and using a PDA, laptop etc., etc... and a compatible map set (like TomTom etc.) you had a mobile GPS navigator on the cheap...

/ Common sense and GPS? #50  
Blame the French on roads that follow geographic features VS straight roads in north America.

That's all well and good if you live where it's relatively flat, not so much in parts of the country where it isn't.