Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #1  

Jdhunter23

Tractor
John Deere 4720
Hi guys and gals,
Have a 2013 4720 cab tractor with less than 900 hrs. Pto in both std and e starts very slow and gets up to speed running the bush hog. Slow/stops under load…all hydro in rest of machine runs great. No steering, loader, drive issues. Change oil/filters more often than required. No leaks, not sure where to start…
Ideas??? Thanks!!

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #2  
Ideas: either clutch adjustment needed or worse, clutch in need of repair.

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems
Know enough to get in trouble mechanically…would this be best taken to the dealer or can it be easily adjusted to know if that’s all that’s wrong?? Thanks for your input!! Really appreciate the help and direction!

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #4  
Welcome to TBN
Try to get your hands on the service tech manual for your 4720. Very handy to have, and could pay for itself if it saves just one trip to the dealer.
Member joecdeere possibly may have a download .pdf that covers your 4720.

Take a chance and send a PM (personal message) to joecdeere and include your email. He has been very generous and helpful in the past. As well he may already be on it too. Great member here.

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems
Thank you!!!

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #7  
Can you test the PTO with any other implements to see if it is working ok with them? If ok with other implements, then the issue is with the bush hog; likely the slip clutch as wolc123 suggested.

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #8  
Hi guys and gals,
Have a 2013 4720 cab tractor with less than 900 hrs. Pto in both std and e starts very slow and gets up to speed running the bush hog. Slow/stops under load…all hydro in rest of machine runs great. No steering, loader, drive issues. Change oil/filters more often than required. No leaks, not sure where to start…
Ideas??? Thanks!!
Have a 4120 and it sounds like yours did what mine did. I would pull on the PTO switch and it would start the JD Mx6 as soon as I got in the grass it stopped all at once. I even hooked it up to my six foot tiller and it would do the same, start up then quit as soon as I dropped it in the ground. I did have the limited extended warranty and carried it to the JD place to get fix. Said it wasn't covered under the limited warranty, only on unlimited. Cost,$2500 for what they said was a PTO valve switch labor included. Give me the tractors of old where you push a lever in to turn on the PTO. Tractors like cars are all electronic and they aren't cheap to fix.

/ Compact John Deere 4720 pto problems #9  
My 4320 had same issue. It turned out that the PTO valve was dirty and wouldn't allow enough oil to power the PTO. It also could just be the PTO selniod not allowing it to fully engage.