Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
   / Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #42  
A strong market for purchase and an equipment shortage, dealers think they have buyers by the cojones. Some buyers are willing to keep their money in their pocket until the supply shortage changes........
........and the price also goes up.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #43  
I already don't believe the survey. NH ranks best? I couldn't find a New Holland dealer in Ontario or Michigan that would sell me a Boomer. Or call back.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #44  
I couldn't agree more. To me it means "My price is so inflated that I want a chance to "sell" it otherwise you would surf on by."
Yep, to me that means I want to BS you.

Putting "Call for price" is a good way to make sure I never do.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #45  
Yep, to me that means I want to BS you.

Putting "Call for price" is a good way to make sure I never do.
To me that ranks right up there with put item in cart to see price. Have gotten a few deals like that but still just show me the price. And now back to your original statement. Yes it is irritating, but take into account that some OEM's specifically prohibit from displaying prices on their dealer websites. So it may not be a dealer choice to do it that way. And with today's volatile prices dealers don't want to quote a purchase price for an item that have to order from the factory, and then have the price increase above their selling price before the item is delivered.

Local trailer dealer ran into that last year with the backlog of trailer orders. A price of a gooseneck had increased $4800 from the time the trailer was ordered to the time of delivery.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #46  
10 years ago, when I started looking I went to several local dealers. It was very hard to get someone to talk to me at each place. Found out about Barlows Kubota in Kentucky on TBN but thought that there was no way they could deliver a tractor to northeast Ohio cheaper than someone 8 miles away. They were $2000 cheaper plus no tax on a $20000 tractor. Everything done thru email and 1 phone call. No deposit, just gave the driver a check when he came. 10 years and almost 800 hours haven't needed the local dealer yet.

Jeff

I’m pretty sure your referring to the same dealer I was that would budge a nickel and the highest price I was quoted. Don’t name drop but I’m quite sure it’s the one that’s northeast of your location in an Amish community

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #47  
I’m pretty sure your referring to the same dealer I was that would budge a nickel and the highest price I was quoted. Don’t name drop but I’m quite sure it’s the one that’s northeast of your location in an Amish community
One of three Kubota dealers I went to in the area. Close to all the same price. Barlows beat them by a lot. I do buy local for hydro fluid but buy filters online.

Jeff

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
Yes it is irritating, but take into account that some OEM's specifically prohibit from displaying prices on their dealer websites. So it may not be a dealer choice to do it that way.
This is a true statement. The theory/purpose behind it is so dealers don't get into pricing wars with each other and to give each dealer an opportunity to build perceived value to the customer during the purchasing process. In reality all this does is make it much more difficult and time consuming for the consumer to shop for their tractor. As this poster stated:
I tractor shopped for about 8 months at many different dealers within about a 100 mile radius , some dealer sales people were almost unbelievably unknowledgeable
TBN and the internet is now replacing the sales person. There is no more need for them. Most of them these days don't have a clue anyway and the combined experience and knowledge of this community is unassailable. You will never find a sales person that could give you this much unbiased perspective. So you have to ask yourself what are you getting of value from the dealer that you can't easily obtain here on the internet and this community?

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #49  
When I bought my tractor I was a cash buyer. My local dealer quoted me msrp and would not budge. I went home got on the phone and made some phone calls. I took the best deal back to him and said meet it or beat it. I went on a road trip to pick my machine up about 2 weeks later. I did the same thing when I ordered the backhoe for it. Some dealers make enough money and don’t want to take care of a customer that drives by there lot every day to and from work and has spent a ton of money on parts and other things there over the years. I won’t even give him a small parts sale now I will drive the next closest dealer or order parts and filters online just to spite him
Looks like you bought a Kubota. I would have brought in the NCHA membership card and slapped it down in front of the local dealer and tell him you want the 20% off MSRP.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #50  
Then your dealer would have lost my sale. Just bought a tractor that started with a series of emails and ended with a 50 hp. tractor in my barn.
And they would have lost mine as well.

I am out in the sticks - online was far easier that visiting. I ended up with a 25 hp green machine, plus a series of other transactions in the last two years for plow, tiller, weight-management etc. Adding a zero-turn this year - all "online."