Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #81  
Bad vendors . . .

In the bad old days, I had a number of rental houses and a few multi-units. They were always needing something or other, and I was buying a LOT of stuff at Graingers - probably $800 a month or so for the buildings and other unrelated items.

Grainger stopped issuing a printed catalog (they've started again) and told everyone to look stuff up on the net (this was 30 years ago, and not everyone had internet yet.) I did go to the net but couldn't find what I wanted.

I drove over to the local Graingers and told the counterman what I wanted, described it, size, shape, color, but said I didn't know what it was called in their online catalog so I couldn't find it.

Counterman said - and I quote - "If you don't know what it is called, then maybe you shouldn't be shopping here."

I said OK, and left. I have not bought ANYTHING from Graingers in over 30 years, and I never will.

The part was a rubber shock absorbing bushing, cost $1.25, and their catalog calls it a "cylindrical isolator". Rubber disc with steel plate bonded on each end with threaded studs - kind of a miniature motor mount.

For the parts monkey's attitude over a $1.25 item, they lost tens of thousands of dollars in future business.

I usually don't carry grudges, but in their case, I'll make an exception.

Best Regards,

Mike/Florida

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #82  
in 2007 I bought my sub compact from a local old school dealer. The same place where my uncle who was a farmer bought his tractor. I was treated like family. Bought a couple implements there too. Since then the owner was looking to retire and the place was bought out by a state wide operation.when I went in for service, I suddenly had the feeling that I had just become a number. I couldn't talk to the mechanic about my problem , I had to talk to the "service manager" Very cold. How industries have changed. On a side note, I was looking to buy a 20 HP outboard for my 14' boat. I talked to the marina up the road who has been there for at least 50 years. Their answer was ...Sorry we only sell package deals. (boat , motor ,trailer) I had to drive 80 miles to a dealer that sells small outboards.The days of personalized service whether you are buying big or small are far and few.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
The whole haggling approach to buying big ticket items is incredibly annoying and anxiety producing. "Let me go talk to the manager." Really? This is one of the things some car companies figured out - Saturn did it, and Tesla does this as well. I guess if we had a culture that haggled on everything, as is common in some countries, this would feel more natural, but to combine the difficulty of spending large amounts of money with that of playing a game where you're not sure of all the rules makes the entire process distasteful.
This industry has gone to fixed pricing they're just not being transparent about it like Tesla and some of the others out there.

Last edited:
   / Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #84  
That's always a constant challenge... Viewpoint bias. Whether it is the perspective of a tractor salesperson, a parts counter person, a buyer, a waiter/waitress in a restaurant, a diner, a small business owner or a customer of theirs; each person is going to view things through their lens. And when those folks are so entrenched that they can't take a moment to see things through the eyes of the other person they are interacting with they will usually make poor decisions. This thread is just an analysis of one of those situations. I think that people who can at least understand that someone else in the situation comes at it from another viewpoint and try to understand or appreciate it are ultimately more successful at navigating life. You don't have to take on that other view... just understand that one exists and why.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #85  
I read several pages of this thread. I have concluded the old saying is true, "good help is hard to find". I will add, when a company finds "good help" they should do all they can to keep it.

Kevin

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #86  
go and try and buy a new car/truck.

you'll find out pretty quick which dealerships are transitioning to "ordering" vs having a lot full of trucks to sell...

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #87  
There's a cost to internet spam and scammers.

The moment you put in some sort of "contact me" on your website the flood gates seem to open and your INBOX/SPAMBOX quickly fills with emails for boner pills, russian girlfriends, sunglasses deals, and african princes wanting to hide money in your bank account.

Legitimate contacts are easy to miss, especially when users contact you with disposable email addresses like yummymummy123 at hotmail dot com.
There are ways to minimize spam and even nearly eliminate it. A competent web designer and a competent email provider work wonders.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows
I read several pages of this thread. I have concluded the old saying is true, "good help is hard to find". I will add, when a company finds "good help" they should do all they can to keep it.

Kevin
I don't think it can be found anymore. I think it has to be developed.

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #89  
I worked a call center for a long distance phone company for several years in the 80s answering customer calls. After that, I installed and serviced phone systems for several years. Then I worked for Uncle Sam purchasing and managing phone systems. Then I went back to installing and servicing for another several years. Then I worked 911 Dispatch taking emergency calls.

I hate phones. I despise them with all of my being. If I never had to use one again, it would be too soon.

I do what I can by email, so everything is in writing. I prefer written replies in case of issues later.

Initial contact with my LS dealer was by email. After a few exchanges, I called him and finished it off before I drove down and signed the papers.

I've found a "paper trail" is valuable.

More than once I have had a seller tell to to call them to discuss details. I am immediately wary. The few times I decided to call, I was immediately aware I was dealing with a "silver tongued devil" at did not want anything "on record".

/ Compact Tractor Dealers Ignore Two-thirds of Their Potential Website Customers, Industry Survey Shows #90  
When a dealer is selling lots of big stuff like combines, the commissions make them seem to forget the smaller transactions.

Deere seems pretty good but you are paying top dollar no matter what.

Buying small 3 point implements from most dealers is a painful experience over the phone. Much easier to come and talk to them.