Compact tractoring on the cheap!?

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #1  

SteveM

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100DT
I would like the board's opinion on the following options for those looking to get dirty for small dough $$$ For example, the guy or gal looking for a tractor with an implement or 2 for less than $5,000. We all recognize this means compromises, but which is best?

1) Used older iron. (Fords N, 3 digit, 4 digit series up to 1980), older Kubota/Deere compacts, defunct brand compacts like Bolens, Allis, Deutz, Case. These tractors will be between 20-40yrs old with hours from 1000 to a zillion.
2) Used grey market reconditioned. We have all seen the ads for shiney, reconditioned Yanmars, Mitsu, Hinomoto, Iseki - arguably well designed tractors....
3) New chinese (or other emerging market) tractors like Jinma, DF, etc. The advantage of new vs. the uncertainty of quality design and build....?

Thanks for your feedback. I am curious of this line of thought, and perhaps other potential buyers are as well.

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #2  
Personally I'd go for a used older big name. You are always assured of parts, service, and dealers.

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #3  
Ditto on the big name stuff, although there are others who will say otherwise who have more experience with the grays & Asians. I was thinking I'd end up with an 8N or more powerful later series, but then I started looking at IH tractors - a lot of tractor for the $$, mostly 2wd in the smaller units (<50hp). I ended up with a '79 Ford 1700 (2cyl diesel 77Cu in/27HP) 4wd with loader & light 5" cutter for $6500. No power steering, but plenty of everything else.

About an even third of what I was contemplating, and I still get to look for that newer/bigger one for later!

Attachments

• 289381-1700 Right smaller.JPG
    289381-1700 Right smaller.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 252
   / Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #4  
You are right IH is probably the best deal out there. For comparative hp you won't find anything close in blue, green, or orange.

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #5  
I've got a 1973 International 454D. It's a 179 cu in 3 cylinder diesel with about 40 HP or so. It's a massive chunk of steel, power steering, very easy to use shifting "Lightening Shift" as the manual states and still a great tractor. It has a mere 1650 hours on it. I am trying to deciding whether to sell it but have to admit some sentimental attachment to it. The power it has certainly is far greater then any of the compacts, yet it's size really is not all that much bigger. Trying to esatablish a value for these older units is hard at best. Problem is, they are far more valuable to us then what others are willing to pay. My thoughts were to sell it and a mower for $10,000. the mower is a Woods DO 80 offset brush mower whoose original value was $4250. I get the feeling though that this would probably be unobtainable. Rat...

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #6  
I would recommend a used American made tractor in the 60's to mid 70's range. You will always have parts problems with the grey market tractors.

I bought a 1968 IH 444 with factory loader for 4K. 2500 hrs, Live PTO, 2 remotes + seperate pump and remotes for loader. Good solid tractor. I just spent a couple of hunderd dollars changing all of the filters and fluids and it works great. It is just a bit taller than the Kioti's, JD,s and such but not too large of a tractor and I can get parts and service for it. The IH 424's are good too, about 35 hp I think. You can find them in gas or diesel.
Good luck.

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #7  
All of the above advice is good advice. I just want to add one brand name no one has mentioned - Oliver. Look at some older used Oliver tractors and you'll be amazed at the HP you can buy for the money. These are great machines and, in my humble opinion, about the best kept secret in the used tractor market (well, until now, maybe).

Good luck with whatever you decide. I hope this helps. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #8  
Can't go too wrong with the older American iron, but it may be a bit ungainly, too heavy or too difficult to transport as compared to a true compact tractor. Nothing wrong with them at all, just depends upon your application.

I think the best value in a true compact tractor of relative modern design is a grey market tractor, especially Yanmars. Yanmars are in my mind one of the premier tractors on the planet. I've had both Yanmars and an older John Deere tractor, and parts for the Yanmar are much easier to find (in my experience). I was able to find almost every part I was looking for with the JD, but it took a lot of searching and calling junkyards, etc. The JD dealer had only a few of the parts I needed.

I would steer clear from the alleged Reconditioned tractors with the shiny paint jobs, as it has been discussed here that the reconditioning process primarily involves shooting a fresh coat of paint over everything, putting on a new seat cover, and battery, and a sign that says "Reconditioned". Go for an un-repainted model from a reputable importer/dealer and you can't go wrong.

I think the Chinese tractors are a viable alternative, but I think you need to be prepared to turn some wrenches (although this is true for any of the types of tractors mentioned here). The Chinese tractors have the advantage of being new, the old american iron has the advantage of more parts/service availability. Kind of depends on your taste.

I would still vote for a grey market Yanmar. Good luck.

Take it Easy

Tim Gray

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #9  
It depends on what the couple wants to do with the two implements and what the two implements are. For maint. type work (no moving 1200 pound bales of hay or high pto hp needs) a grey market compact or American (Jap) compact will do fine -- more maneuverable than larger, heavier full-size tractors. Iseki, Yanmar, Mitsubishi, etc. are fine - I haven't had parts problems yet. NH, Kubota, JD, etc. are fine, too... except the dealers are too proud of them ($$$$$). Just my .02.

/ Compact tractoring on the cheap!? #10  
NH, Kubota, JD, etc. are fine, too... except the dealers are too proud of them ($$$$$).

You get what you pay for.