Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you?

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #1  

ShowroomShine

Gold Member
Tractor
2019 Case IH 55A
I've been a municipal accounts manager for a heavy equipment company for over a year, no prior sales experience. I've become pretty successful in my position, and the company is now adding a territory on top of my municipal accounts for me to manage for private sales. So now I'll be calling on local guys with construction companies.

I've become accustomed to the ways of getting into a municipality and making friends, but I feel that at the private level it will be a different game. I dont want to just drive up to a guys front door and give him a sales schpeel, I feel that is just white noise that will get lost in his 1000's of other things going on.

Question is, if you own a construction company that buys equipment, how do you like (or dont like) to be approached by sales reps? What have some reps done in the past that worked, what have they done that does not work. Any tips to not get my card thrown away or swept under a rug?

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #2  
I have been a contractor of sorts for the past ten years. I can't think of one time I have bought anything from someone approaching or calling me. When I need something I go find it and get it. I don't see how someone could talk me into buying something I didn't need in the first place. I think the key would be making sure everyone knows you are out there and what you have to offer. Often when I buy things I need them NOW and it isn't always the best deal that I go with it is who I can find that has what I need right then.

Business is a lot different than personal because most businesses are losing money when they need something and time is the biggest factor. Most businesses don't have the luxury of waiting around to get things.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #3  
That's a pretty well put together post. The only thing I would add is possibly being able to demo units. I would think reading the questions prospective buyers put on here focus more on service in the shop than the lip service a fast talking salesman is going to jaw about. I will say that you better know your equipment inside and out as well as your competitors. It isn't better BECAUSE you are selling it. If it performs better, worse, or differently, be prepared to have a genuine response.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you?
That's a pretty well put together post. The only thing I would add is possibly being able to demo units. I would think reading the questions prospective buyers put on here focus more on service in the shop than the lip service a fast talking salesman is going to jaw about. I will say that you better know your equipment inside and out as well as your competitors. It isn't better BECAUSE you are selling it. If it performs better, worse, or differently, be prepared to have a genuine response.

Yeah I do demo's all the time, in fact I got my CDL A to be able to drive the lowboy to deliver my own demos, I think it looks better when I drive up in the semi hauling the machine.

Also, I cant stand someone that puts down other brands. I'm prepared (and do on a regular basis) to tell everyone I meet that all brands are good these days, but here is why mine may work better for you. If my brand/product has a shortcoming, I'll be happy to let them know. I think trust in the person you are dealing with helps more than a good product.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #5  
I don't think the trust matters if the dealership service is terrible or warranty work is difficult to get though. If I had a good experience I'd be willing to talk to the salesman again but I compare specs of equipment I purchase and only talk to a sales rep when I have nearly made my decision and want to put my butt in the seat.

I think delivering the machine is a nice touch though.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #6  
The demo idea is great. Keep it short and respectful, and it may take numerous tries to break through. And never have a wing person. Tag team salespeople don't get anywhere with me 'cause I figure if takes more than one person to sell me something, it's not worth buying!

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #7  
Nobody likes a sales rep...:p start with that thought in mind.:eek:
We usually know what we want, be honest, open and tell the truth, (just like a lawyer)...lol
Providing a demo is a good idea, backed by quick and reliable service with fringe benefits.
Offer them something the others don't....

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #8  
I rent and buy equipment for our company. Rentals are normally through one of 3 or 4 reliable and reasonably-priced vendors. Equipment needs are determined by the project superintendents and they send a requisition to me for the equipment.

Some times purchasing of equipment is done because of a need that I see and get approval for. This can be triggered by having a need for a piece of equipment on a project for a very long time period, replacing something that is at the end of its life or the need for a piece of equipment to do something specialized. Other times it's a matter of the COO telling me it would be a good time for us to get another piece of equipment and I should chase it.

Unless I'm really busy, I do give cold call salespeople some time and keep their contact info on file. I've been known to call one of them 6 months after they made contact.

The answers other posters gave above cover the subject pretty well. I would suggest that you don't use popular clichés. I want to puke when someone tells me about "price points", or that they thought the would "reach out" or that they had something to "share". If they want to "share" they should rent a church basement and form a support group.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #9  
A hand written letter personally addressed to the contact (owner / purchasing manger) introducing yourself with your business card.
Include your catalog.
Avoid email and phone for the first contact.

Follow up with phone calls and cold calls.

/ Company Owners, how do you like sales reps to approach you? #10  
The answers other posters gave above cover the subject pretty well. I would suggest that you don't use popular clichés. I want to puke when someone tells me about "price points", or that they thought the would "reach out" or that they had something to "share". If they want to "share" they should rent a church basement and form a support group.

Exactly! Sales reps should have some practical knowledge of the business they wish to sell to as well as knowing their own products inside & out. For a time several years ago, I knew way more about Ford trucks than any sales rep that I ever met when it was time for me to buy. Not too encouraging.