Comparison 750 vs. 770

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770 #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
Looking at a 750 with 1,100 hrs., a 770 with 1,200 hrs. Both appear to be well maintained, both have loaders, but the 750 has a JD loader & the 770 has an SMC, which seems to work a little faster. The 770 has wider tires which are a plus for my ground. Tire wear appears about equal. Both are 4WD. Asking prices are $7,950 for the 750 & $9,500 for the 770.

I would like to keep my costs down, but I like the wider tires on this 770 & I like the fact that it is newer, but I know that in itself is not too important.

What are your thoughts on the pros & cons of each? Use will be just general work around the place, maintaining a 1,200 ft. gravel driveway, spraying, tilling, etc., probably working it less than 40 hrs. a year.

What are your thoughts? Pros & cons of each? Any experience with both?

Thanks for any input.

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770 #2  
Based on my recent foray's into the Ebay world -- the prices seem a little high -- especially the 770. Unless there are more attachments as part of the deal. You might spend some time scanning through some of the listing's on Ebay and review some of the final sales. As well, search through some of the past discussions available here on TBN regarding the 750, 770 and maybe the next size up -- 850, 870, etc My 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif AK fish

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770 #3  
The 770 has more horsepower and a slightly larger frame than the 750. it also is a newer model and was replaced by the 790 which is currently available from John Deere. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jim

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770 #4  
I've owned the 770's little brother, the 670 and currently own it's replacement, a 790. Power wise, the 770 is right in the middle. I was actually looking for a 770 when I found a real nice deal on a low hour 790.

With the hours you list, it sounds like both these machines have been worked a lot during their existence. That's not a showstopper, depending upon the condition of the tractors...wouldn't be to me, anyway.

The 770 is a tough, but rather lightweight, tractor. They're not too common (at least on line) but there are 3 or 4 owners on TBN.

I don't think $9500 is excessive for the tractor but I'd sure try to negotiate down due to the hours. These tractors (670, 770) tend to depreciate about 25% to 35% of their original price, then the depreciation stops. The same applies to the hydrostatic models of the late 80's through late 90's (x55 series machines).

As far as the work you've described...well, the 770 is lightweight. You will run out of traction before you run out of power. I don't know what kind of maintenance you intend to do on your 1200' drive, but using a rear blade may require smaller bites. Same applies using a box blade. Using a rake should be no problem at all.

You will require some kind of rear ballast to use the loader. I've used a 400# rear blade which didn't work to well at all (on my 790). I now use a 600+ pound ballast box (filled with sand) which works fine.

Spraying? No problem..just keep weight (the FEL) on the front to counterbalance the sprayer. Tilling? Again, should be no problem if your planning on a 2 or 3 acre plot, more or less.

The 770 is a smaller tractor, so is the 750. As long as you're OK with the size and weight limitations, they'll work well...just might take longer to do a task then a larger tractor.

You don't mention what kind of tires are on the tractors. By your comment about the 770's tires being wider then the 750's, I'd guess those are turf tires on the 770. If that's the case, try to find bar-turfs of the correct size to replace the standard turfs...much more traction.

Both of these tractors will make fine mowing and brush cutting machines. I used a 60" rear mower and a 60" rotary cutter behind my 670. That worked fine...

BTW, as a comparison:

670: 19 Gross HP, 16.5 HP at the PTO
770: 24 Gross HP, 20 at the PTO
790 (2003 model): 27 Gross HP, 24 at the PTO.

The early 790's (1999, 2000) might be found for close to the asking price of the 770. You might want to consider that.

I see you already have two tractors (a JD 420 and Kubota B6200). Is the 750 or 790 to replace one of these machines?

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770
Roy and others,

Thanks for your comments. I sold the Kubota and the Yanmar will go on the block when I find a replacement. I have a one time project I need a loader for and I want a little bigger tractor than the Yanmar, but I want to keep to a small frame so I can get between and around my trees. The Yanmar is comparable to a JD 650 except the Yanmar has a 3 cylinder engine.

Tires on the 770 are not turf tires, they do have lugs, but don't look like R-4's. They just look like wider versions of the tires on the 750. I'll check on size & type & ask the JD dealer if they are OK on that machine; I don't want something someone has mickey moused.

/ Comparison 750 vs. 770 #6  
I have a 770 that I bought in August and my brother inlaw has a 790 for a few years. These tractors are the exact same except for the engine horse power. I have a 70 loader and bush hog brand backhoe model 650. I haul wood with the forks I made for the loader. I'am making a toothbar for the bucket after hearing how much Roy likes his. I'am very happy withthis tractor have put about 45hours on it. It is a1995 with 300hrs I paided 8500 plus 200 for power beyond kit for backhoe mint shape. I store my in a garage that is not heated. It was around zero few weeks ago it started up find with no block heater. You wood like at a 770 or 790 they have plenty of power a good size for many jobs. good luck Tim /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif