Compressor issue

/ Compressor issue #1  

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B6100E Kubota L 2501 Kubota T1460
I picked up a couple of compressors, one is electric the other gas. The electric starts up fine from my temporary power source a hundred feet away with a 100 ft 15 amp extension cord but as soon as it needs to automatically re start itself cause the air pressure drops it will not start, it just sits there making an unhappy noise until it blows a fuse or damages the outlet it’s plugged into.
What might be the problem?
It operates fine when plugged directly into the same outlet.

Attachments

• A7C3ABA9-94FD-4F58-A3F6-DE3DB9F67058.jpeg
    A7C3ABA9-94FD-4F58-A3F6-DE3DB9F67058.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 175
  • 3DBC93D1-DC88-4AE3-A326-BEE2D69D82A2.jpeg
    3DBC93D1-DC88-4AE3-A326-BEE2D69D82A2.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 170
   / Compressor issue #2  
The check valve is leaking back so the compressor wont start with a load on it .....

/ Compressor issue #3  
Voltage drop due to your 100ft extension cord. You would need a larger wire gauge to keep teh voltage up so that starting current under load does not cause the compressor to stall.

/ Compressor issue #4  
My money is on voltage drop with the long cord and needing greater amperage on startup. Suggest larger conductor extension cord to fix the problem. Should be at least 12 gauge per the attached chart for 15amp continuous.

What Peter mentioned above about the check valve could also be contributing

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231112-100423.png
    Screenshot_20231112-100423.png
    189.2 KB · Views: 114
   / Compressor issue #5  
You need a big extension cord to go out 100ft. It’s loosing too much voltage over that distance. The easy solution is to use the gas compressor you have sitting there. Or leave the compressor at the power source and run more air hose.

Last edited:
   / Compressor issue #6  
A completely unloaded start as compared to a low pressure start.
Either the much heavier cord as suggested or a 220 volt extension cord and wire the compressor to 220 Volt.

/ Compressor issue
The check valve is leaking back so the compressor wont start with a load on it .....
There is something leaking, don’t know where the leak is or if there are multiple.
I put my ear to the compressor this morning and it sounds internally ( in the compressor itself)
Is the check valve located internally?
Maybe I’m just not distinguishing where the noise is coming from.
Can you or someone elaborate?
Thanks

/ Compressor issue #10  
Generally auto start compressors have a "unloader" valve that releases any pressure in cylinder(s) when compressor reaches set pressure.... IF your unloader valve is leaking pressure back into cylinder due to faulty valve in unloader, yes its going to be very difficult for compressor to start against the pressurized cylinder.... If it were me first thing I would do is check condition of the loader valve....

IF the is no unloader valve, there may be a check valve somewhere between head of compressor and tank, it may even be built into compressor head..... Better pic of compressor without hose draped all over it would give us people on other side of computer screen better idea of design/construction of "compressor"...

Last edited: