Computer buying help please

/ Computer buying help please #1  

GerardC

Elite Member
Tractor
KIOTI CK20 GEAR.
Hi all. I've attached a photo of some of the things this computer tower offers > HP m7330n <. I'm NOT into gaming but do surf alot and download alot of different stuff plus play with digital photo stuff. PLEASE give me your opinion on what this system has to offer as far as the processor, etcetera. I need to make a decision very soon. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 807971-HP m7330n PC.JPG
    807971-HP m7330n PC.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 167
   / Computer buying help please #2  
It has a useful combo of goodies for serious digital photography. I don't know if you use the full version of Photoshop, but that is the only application of which I am aware that actually makes use of the dual-core processor. Most of the time the second core is idle.

This box is somewhat overkill for surfing the net, but these days the bottom line has been raised up so high that what we used to consider a premium PC is now kinda ordinary!

The only 'ordinary' component is the ATI Radeon graphics, but you mention that you're not into gaming, and this card can do everything else extremely well; 3D performance is good but not the extreme power that gamers demand.

If the price seems fair to you, go for it!

Tom.

/ Computer buying help please #3  
Forgot to add: they don't say which operating system is installed, but with that size of hard disk and the 1GB of memory to manage, I would _strongly_ recommend you get Windows XP PRO, if it isn't already on it.

T.

/ Computer buying help please
Thanks for the reply. The software that is factory installed is Windows (XP-Media Center). From what the salesman told me it is something in between XP Home and XP Pro. The price is $849 after a $50 rebate for the tower, keyboard and mouse. Any other thoughts are always welcome!!!

/ Computer buying help please #5  
I've never used XP-Media Center, but factory installation counts for a lot when the box has a DVD-writer and other extra goodies. There's a reasonable probability that it will all work together out of the box.

I was going to say that the price sounds like an excellent deal, but then I realized you're talking US dollars! Still a good deal, IMO.

T.

/ Computer buying help please #6  
Looks pretty close the HP the SIL just bought her husband. I'm partial to XP-Pro as well, but when I installed their wireless card didn't see any quirks as being either really advantageous or disadvantageous on the Media Center edition; of course I'm not an expert on the subject by any stretch. Probably has features they'll (or likely you either) never use.

Like the BIL's, probably a proprietary board for HP, which doesn't often get good marks from tweakers [I like boards that have been around a little while and well reviewed by either gamers or workstation users]. But I think HP has a pretty good warranty so can't be turning out "disposable" MOBO's; also, as mentioned before you won't be splitting hairs on speed anyway, so won't be pushing the limits of the processor or liekly any components.

My point???? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif???? Oh, yes. If you like the price and think you'll like it, I think you'll be plenty happy with it!
/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So far I like what I'm hearing. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Here's a link to it.

/ Computer buying help please #8  
It looks like that computer is set up as a media center PC. That is one you use for TV, home theater and stereo as well as a computer. Notice that it has a remote control. It has the equivialent of TiVo for recording programs, but I don't know if it has dual tv tuners, so you can watch a program and record another. Usually a system like that has a sound card that supports dolby 5.1 or 7.1 for home theater. Looks like a good system if that is what you are looking for. There are so many configurations out there it is hard trying to choose what's best for you at a good price. Good luck.
Ken

<font color="blue">There are so many configurations out there it is hard trying to choose what's best for you at a good price.</font>

Yeah, that's great isn't it? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Just found this info on the net.

Preloaded System and Software:

<font color="red"> The pre-installed Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 (Update Rollup 2) is essentially Windows XP Professional Edition </font> with a variety of tools to help you to create, organize, and enjoy digital media ranging from music to home movies to photo slide shows. The Update Rollup 2 upgrade offers support for the Windows Media Center Extender technology built into XBox 360 game consoles, which lets you access entertainment from your Media Center PC--whether itÕs live and recorded TV and movies, music, photos or Online Spotlight--on any TV in the house.

It also comes preloaded with Microsoft Works (for working with word processing and spreadsheet documents), Symantec Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition (with 60 days of LiveUpdate), PC Doctor, Encarta Encyclopedia 2005, Quicken New User Edition 2005, Microsoft Money 2005, RecordNow, WinDVD Player, Sonic DigitalMedia Plus, Sonic MyDVD Plus, Sonic DigitalMedia Archive, muvee AutoProducer, iTunes.

The included HP Image Zone Plus photo and imaging software makes it easy to organize, edit, share, print, protect, and store your photos and video clips. Organize and find your photos easily by timeline, keywords, and/or location using the unique photo-globe mapping tool. Remove red eye and fix other common problems. Share your photos quickly via e-mails that include thumbnails with links to the full-sized images--without downloading time-consuming attachments.