Computer & CD buring

/ Computer & CD buring #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
Is it possible to record a CD from the input jack on the sound card? Is there any other software needed other than the burning software I currently use to burn data discs? I'm running a 1.25GHZ with 512M ram and Windows XP Pro.

Thanks!

/ Computer & CD buring #2  
You could record sound files to your hard drive, them burn them to CD. You would need some audio capture software of some type. Not sure if XP comes with that. Never looked.

/ Computer & CD buring #3  
I run a cassette deck into the sound card so I can create mp3 files from them. I also can create cassettes from mp3 files. I use a software product called Adobe Audition (it used to be called Cool Edit 2000). The process is to record from the source then save to the hard drive then to a CD. So, you'd need something like Adobe Audition to do this as well as the right cable running from the external input source to the sound card. Radio Shack has the cable.

/ Computer & CD buring
I think I can use the sound recorder that Window XP has. Need to pick up a cable at Radio Shack first. The I can test it.

Does your software or any other software pick up the pauses between songs and make it into seperate smaller files? So you basically get a file for every song.

Thanks.

/ Computer & CD buring #5  
You don't need anything but the CD burner you have. The CD burner should have came with some software for copying CDs. If not, use Windows Media Player.

/ Computer & CD buring #6  
<font color="blue"> Does your software or any other software pick up the pauses between songs and make it into seperate smaller files? So you basically get a file for every song. </font>
The software I have does not do this and I am not aware of any that does. However, once you've transferred an entire cassette onto your PC with Adobe Audition it's easy to see the silence between songs. You can copy a song, create a new file then paste in the single song.

Attached is a screen shot of CoolEdit2000. I've opened the mp3 file that represents 1 side of a 90 minute cassette. BTW, the file size is 60 megs. It's a stereo file, with the left channel across the top and the right channel across the bottom. I have highlighted one song.

Attachments

• 417707-cooledit.jpg
    417707-cooledit.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 99
   / Computer & CD buring
So by seeing the pauses on the "graph" you can break apart the large file into sinlge tracks (files). This can be done without having to listen to the song right (pausing and saving file (song track))??

/ Computer & CD buring #8  
<font color="blue"> You don't need anything but the CD burner you have. </font>
BillyP brings up a good point.

Derek, why do you want to use the input jack on the sound card in order to record from a CD? You can simply put the music CD into the CD drive on your PC and copy the song(s) off of it. Down the left hand side of the Windows Media Player is the Option Copy from CD. Select the song(s) you want to copy, and they will be copied to your hard drive as individual files. The only 'problem' with Windows Media Player is that it can only convert to the Windows Media Audio format. If you want/need to be able to convert to something like .mp3, you will need a program like Adobe Audition.

/ Computer & CD buring #9  
<font color="blue"> This can be done without having to listen to the song right (pausing and saving file (song track))? </font>
Correct.

Read my other reply to BillyP. If all you want to do is pull individual songs off an audio CD, Windows Media Player can do that. Your CD burning software can then burn these individual songs back onto an audio CD.

/ Computer & CD buring
Sorry, I didn't explain myself very well. What i'm looking to do is take music from the satellite and burn it to a CD. At first I didn't care to have one file filling a whole CD. Then I thought it may be nice to be able to select a song (say track 10) when listening to the burned CD.

BTW Nero came with my CD burner.