computers in tractors

/ computers in tractors #1  

jonsstihl

Veteran Member
with all makes adding more and more computers in tractors now do the grand l60 series tractors have some type of obd2 style connector where you can plug in a scanner and get some data or read codes?

/ computers in tractors #2  
Don't know, but I rather doubt it. It would seem to be helpful to diagnose the new ones with the tier 4 crap.

/ computers in tractors #3  
I saw a Messicks video where they plugged a computer in somewhere to get regen data. I think it was an L01 series tractor. It’s definitely not an OBD2 connector, and is proprietary. Likely impossible to get the necessary software.

/ computers in tractors #4  
I hate this stuff in tractors, fourwheelers, snow machines, and chainsaws:mad:

/ computers in tractors
The auto industry has standardized but I guess the tractor industry is a little farther behind.

I don't like it either but the computers are here to stay and being able to plug in and get data is essential in trouble shooting.

/ computers in tractors #6  
Love my Branson 4520R :thumbsup: No computer to tell it when to inject fuel, Just gears. Not Spacely Sprockets but Coswell Cogs.

/ computers in tractors #7  
The auto industry has standardized but I guess the tractor industry is a little farther behind.

I don't like it either but the computers are here to stay and being able to plug in and get data is essential in trouble shooting.

Or just buy the older models without computers and run them forever. Look how many 40 and 50 yr old tractors are running around.

We are right at the cusp where tractors USED to be easy to maintain with "common" tools and knowledge. Like cars in the 1970's.

/ computers in tractors #9  
Cars are kinda standardized. You can pull basic P-series codes and view some data from any OBD2 car with a cheap scanner. Advanced functions (ABS, transmission, body, and of course, key programming) often require the dealer rig or at least some form of online authorization (which is super annoying).

Medium and heavy duty diesel trucks have a different interface and different computers. Same with motorcycles, ATV's, UTV's, and personal watercraft. .. and yes, tractors. I have a $1200 pass through box used to connect a laptop to Harley Davidson bikes JUST so I can program the stupid UFO key fob that immobilizes the bike if lost. It ONLY works on Harleys. If I want to talk to a Goldwing, I guess I'll have to buy a widget from Honda for that. There is zero standardization once you get outside of light duty autos.

You could probably buy the Kubota interface and software if you really wanted it. . . probably not cost effective and no doubt there's a learning curve.

/ computers in tractors #10  
It throws codes on the dash LCD most of the time.

Any concerns about computers in tractors are about 1000x over blown. We have almost zero problems with the computer itself.