Concrete floor before or after?

/ Concrete floor before or after? #1  

Doc_Bob

Elite Member
Tractor
2003 NH TN70A
Where I live, a pole barn with a concrete floor cost more in yearly taxes. I want to build a new pole barn next year. I want to keep my taxes low. So, is it possible to build a pole barn without a concrete floor, have it signed off by the inspector and then pour the floor at a later date?????????

Bob

/ Concrete floor before or after? #2  
Sure.

In fact, the floor was the last step with my PB.

/ Concrete floor before or after? #4  
I think a lot of pole barns are built with the floor last. Out here, tax wise, we have the same situation when including water or electricity in an out building.

The decision you'll need make may be based on if you ever expect to have the inspector back to look at an addition, or something else, on that pole building. Then if he catches you've added a concrete floor you may be liable for the permit plus fines. The fine here is double the permit fee.

One thing for sure, if you do the floor without inspection, take good photo documentation in case the issue arises in the future or you want to convince a prospective buyer the job was well done even though not done under the building permit.

Here too we'd need to disclose the non-permit floor to a prospective buyer. Even if you plan to keep your place "forever" someone at sometime may need to deal with this.

/ Concrete floor before or after? #6  
I think a lot of pole barns are built with the floor last. Out here, tax wise, we have the same situation when including water or electricity in an out building.

The decision you'll need make may be based on if you ever expect to have the inspector back to look at an addition, or something else, on that pole building. Then if he catches you've added a concrete floor you may be liable for the permit plus fines. The fine here is double the permit fee.

One thing for sure, if you do the floor without inspection, take good photo documentation in case the issue arises in the future or you want to convince a prospective buyer the job was well done even though not done under the building permit.

Here too we'd need to disclose the non-permit floor to a prospective buyer. Even if you plan to keep your place "forever" someone at sometime may need to deal with this.
I'm glad we don't have to put up with codes and crap like this here in Washington County.

/ Concrete floor before or after? #7  
I guess I thought that all pole buildings had the floor poured last. (If they were getting a floor)

/ Concrete floor before or after? #8  
I think the biggest disadvantage to pouring the floor later is that all the stuff that will have to be moved to do the pour increase the odds that it will never get poured. My barn resembles that remark. MikeD74T

/ Concrete floor before or after? #9  
I poured my concrete floor last in my 30X50 pole barn on purpose. That way the bottom kicker boards around the whole barn act as a mold for your concrete when it's poured. The only thing I'd say is to be careful when you pour the concrete and don't splash any of it up onto the walls. Also, depending on what big doors you're planning on having in your barn, sliding to open or up and down, be sure to take the concrete out enough to meet flush with them when they close. I also added a small concrete pad in front of the walk in door too. I poured my concrete 4 inches thick, using cattle panel as reinforcement in the concrete. Don't forget expanders either. Never have had a problem with it since it was poured in 99.

/ Concrete floor before or after?
I guess I thought that all pole buildings had the floor poured last. (If they were getting a floor)

I have never built a pole barn. I just assumed that the floor was poured before the walls etc were completed.
Bob