Concrete footing question

/ Concrete footing question #21  
For this application, it probably doesn't matter much whether the re-bar is in the ground or not. However, it is bad practice to have steel not covered by concrete. If the concrete is in contact with the steel, it "passivates" the steel and completely stops corrosion. I've seen a thick steel plate rust through completely from the back side because a piece of wood got into the pour and prevented concrete contact. It looked perfect from the outside until it fell apart. I try to make sure reinforcement is completely within the concrete.

/ Concrete footing question #22  
I can add another horizontal rebar easily.

Do i need to rent vibrator?

Vibrators will give you a better finish where the forms are, but for what you are doing, it's not going to do much. Use a piece of rebar, or a stick, and work the concrete along the edges, hit the forms with a hammer to get rid of air pockets, and you'll be fine. If you are really ****, you can always fill in any issues once the forms come off, but it wont really change anything either way.

/ Concrete footing question #23  
It is hard to tell when people are pulling your leg on a forum. Did you catch the part that said this was a cattle guard? Cattle are prevented from using a major highway. If this is a private gravel road, typically there is a lifetime gate next to it that the concrete trucks have to use.

Engineered drawings? 5000 psi concrete? Vibrators? Funny stuff. The stiff mix is solid advice. I suggest being careful the footing isn't washed out from flash floods or taken out of service by filling up with mud from heavy rains. No one even looks at a cattle guard once it has been in for a few years.

The stiffer mixes are a good idea. Those crimped synthetic macrofibers are cheap if you want to add a few ounces. Also, try not to pour in 100ーF heat. Usually, a fence post is banged on the form and a rod is poked down in several places instead of vibrating. They do make cordless vibrators if you need to fill your tool box. My concrete supplier encourages a 3 yard minimum. Where are you putting the rest of the load?

I hate concrete work.

/ Concrete footing question
Not perfect but will do the job i think. I learned a lot about concrete, including 3 yards is a lot of work by yourself when its 102F

20180810_123023.jpg

/ Concrete footing question #25  
To a non rancher like myself, these cattle guards are very interesting.

With the cattle guard in place, you dont need a physical gate at all?

That cattle dont even try to cross it?

/ Concrete footing question #26  
Not perfect but will do the job i think. I learned a lot about concrete, including 3 yards is a lot of work by yourself when its 102F

View attachment 566249

When did you pour that? I wouldn’t put the load of a vehicle going over the cattle guard, or even really the guard itself for a week.

Concrete reaches design strength in 28 days and continues to get stronger after that. A general rule of thumb is for non structural things seven days is adequate to put it in use like driving on a driveway, building a house on a slab, etc.

Maybe time flew by and it cured long enough but it seemed just a few days ago there was discussions on how to do it.

/ Concrete footing question #27  
To a non rancher like myself, these cattle guards are very interesting.

With the cattle guard in place, you dont need a physical gate at all?

That cattle dont even try to cross it?

In theory correct you do not need a gate. I have seen cattle run across a cattle guard and it isn’t pretty. One time I watched about twenty cows run over one. Three or four didn’t make it and got stuck I. The cattle guard with broke legs. The rancher had to hoist them out with his loader. I have pictures somewhere but it was pre digital camera days.

I bet the cows that tried run across had a lot of Brahman in them. I've seen year old heifers jump across a 6' wide guard. Mine is 8' wide. And any wild eyed cows get sent to be hamburger.

When did you pour that? I wouldn’t put the load of a vehicle going over the cattle guard, or even really the guard itself for a week.

Concrete reaches design strength in 28 days and continues to get stronger after that. A general rule of thumb is for non structural things seven days is adequate to put it in use like driving on a driveway, building a house on a slab, etc.

Maybe time flew by and it cured long .

Its only been 5 days. I had to get the guard in because rain was coming (hopefully) and i'd wouldnt be able to get to my place. I drove across it a couple times and now it will have time to cure for at least 5 more days.