Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question.

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #1  

ben2go

Gold Member
My father poured this pad 31 years ago.It had one of those Sears metal buildings on it.It rusted away many years ago.Now I am in the planning stages of erecting a stick built building on it.This building will house our personal effects while we remodel my father's old mobile home.The pad caused the Sears metal building to rust from the inside out.Condensation was always an issue inside of it.The concrete pad was never sealed.I would like to do an epoxy garage floor coating.Should I seal coat the floor first, or just clean it really well, and coat it with garage floor coating?The pad is 9' by 10'.

0902091549a.jpg

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #2  
I would do the epoxy floor coating but also add good venting to the building so that moisture does not build up inside.

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #3  
I'd probably etch it with muriatic acid, flush it well (and maybe neutralize with baking soda), then apply the epoxy floor coating after it's dried very well. Trying to use a concrete sealer first may seriously affect bonding.

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question.
Thanks to you both.I forgot about using acid to clean the concrete first.This building will be sporting a ridge vent and soffit vents.This building will be pretty tight to keep insects out.Uninsulated of course.Yes,I've seen insulated buildings as small as mine will be.It make one scratch ones head.Once everything is moved back to the house,I'll store my motorcycles and lawn mowers in there.

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #5  
skip the sealer ... nothing will "bond " to it later

etch , power wash , dry and epoxy floor paint .... enjoy ...

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #7  
My father poured this pad 31 years ago.It had one of those Sears metal buildings on it.It rusted away many years ago.Now I am in the planning stages of erecting a stick built building on it.This building will house our personal effects while we remodel my father's old mobile home.The pad caused the Sears metal building to rust from the inside out.Condensation was always an issue inside of it.The concrete pad was never sealed.I would like to do an epoxy garage floor coating.Should I seal coat the floor first, or just clean it really well, and coat it with garage floor coating?The pad is 9' by 10'.

I don't think the concrete pad had anything to do with the building rusting from the inside, out. A lack of proper ventilation most likely is the culprit.

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #9  
Grinding the floor is almost easier than acid etching.
Rent a diamond grinder, on a slab that size you could have it done in an hour or less and not have to deal with the acid and neutralizing.

Probably get a better surface as well

Have to get rid if the surface laitance to get good epoxy adhesion

Do not let the epoxy bake in the Suns UV's, it will break it down fast unless it has UV inhibitors in it

/ Concrete pad,to seal or not to seal?That is the question. #10  
I would not worry about grinding the floor, a single gallon of acid etch will do that size & only be a few bucks. not much to worry about neutralizing it a good rinse is all you will need but a few days of dry heat will be needed prior to epoxy coating it.

First I would take a1 foot square of plastic and tape it down with some good sealing tape and see if the concrete wicks moisture up thru it under the plastic. If it does then you will not have a lot of luck with many coatings. If the moisture is coming from below the slab then you will have to use more special paint/coatings than regular stuff...

Mark