Concrete Questions?

/ Concrete Questions? #1  

jk96

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L6060
I'm in the need to build to build some additional explosive storage magazines and have some questions on concrete spans. The two current magazines I've built are as follows

1. 12'x20'. All poured concrete, walls, floor, and ceiling at 8" thick.
2. 14'x24' Concrete floor and ceiling at 8" thick. Walls were concrete block - dry stacked with surface bond.

My question is in regards to the concrete roof. Minimum thickness to meet ATF spec is 8" thick. I would like to make a larger magazine than in the past, preferably 20'x32' but 16'x32 would work as well. What I'm not sure about is how far I can safely clear span the concrete roof at 8" thick and the amount of rebar required to do it.

Below is a picture of the 14'x24' magazine we built a few years ago using block.

Jeremy

/ Concrete Questions? #2  
You may need a qualified person to design the roof structure.:)

And also the pour Framing/Supports.:)

You may want to look into precast flooring slabs and use them for the roof.

/ Concrete Questions?
You may need a qualified person to design the roof structure.:)

And also the pour Framing/Supports.:)

You may want to look into precast flooring slabs and use them for the roof.

I'm well aware an expert can handle this but what would be the fun in that? :)

I still have access to the oak timbers and posts I used to support the roof during the pour on the first two buildings. I can frame up and handle the roof framing/supports, just curious about the stength of concrete over an open span. I don't need a detailed analysis, just hoping for a few people on TBN who could tell me "yes, you can span that distance with a rebar grid every X amount on center and be well within tolerance" or "no - your pushing toward an unsafe limit"

The concrete roof will not be carrying a load, only needs to support its own weight. Also - precaset would not work because it needs to be 8" solid concrete to meet spec.

Jeremy

/ Concrete Questions? #4  
I work for an engineering company and you are getting into structural engineer teritory. One thing I can tell you, most of the reinforcement should go towards the bottom of the concrete in the roof, but check with an expert.

/ Concrete Questions? #5  
   / Concrete Questions?
I work for an engineering company and you are getting into structural engineer teritory. One thing I can tell you, most of the reinforcement should go towards the bottom of the concrete in the roof, but check with an expert.

The first two buildings we did (12x20 & 14x24) were poured 8" thick with a rebar grid of 12" on center and placed 3" from bottom. These were poured 4 years ago and to-date there is not a single crack in the roof structure. I may just stick with the 14' span and increase the length of the building. This only places the inside span with 8" walls at just over 12'.

/ Concrete Questions? #7  
With only 8 inches it gets pretty hard to be able to place the re-bar where it is supposed to be and do much good for the bending moment stresses.

You might want to form a deeper?? beam sections spaced?? for the proper support. Also should know what size re-bar??? you will use for the stresses.:)

Guesses do work up to a certain point!:confused: but then gravity takes over.:)

/ Concrete Questions? #8  
I have no idea what you are using the magazines for. I worked in hydrogen furnace buildings and they were built so if there was an explosion blast panels would let go. This prevented concrete from flying around the parking lot.
Of course in a small structure it would probably allow thiefs to get in so not what you would want. Just a thought.

/ Concrete Questions?
I have no idea what you are using the magazines for. I worked in hydrogen furnace buildings and they were built so if there was an explosion blast panels would let go. This prevented concrete from flying around the parking lot.
Of course in a small structure it would probably allow thiefs to get in so not what you would want. Just a thought.

I own a fireworks display company. Aerial FX - Spectacular fireworks displays & 1.3g fireworks supplier The magazine is for the storage of high explosives (i.e. salute/concussion type shells) and must be a minimum of 8" thick to meet bullet resistant requirements for storage.

Here's a link to some pictures of some of our past shows. http://www.aerialfx.com/AFX Show Photos/

Jeremy

/ Concrete Questions? #10  
Just curious but isn't there a limit to the size of magazine? I'd think that a bunch of smaller magazines would be safer than one big one. Maybe not more convenient, but safer.