Concrete step

/ Concrete step #1  

JMER817

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 4120
Best way to repair this step? Form wasn’t pulled in time. Have tried concrete repair product along with concrete mix. Last for about a year until water gets behind and flakes off.

Attachments

• 5FFC47EB-6F1E-4EAB-8467-C462B3D7ECD6.jpeg
    5FFC47EB-6F1E-4EAB-8467-C462B3D7ECD6.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 125
  • A4B79EFD-EE0B-4A55-9734-6C0C22C3F8C2.jpeg
    A4B79EFD-EE0B-4A55-9734-6C0C22C3F8C2.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 127
   / Concrete step #2  
I'm assuming you used a concrete adhesive (not a glue, it's stuff used to make old and new concrete adhere better) before applying the patch. In your application, I don't think there's much you can do. Concrete is moisture retentive and in your climate, the freezing will tend to pop it off.

/ Concrete step #3  
Not sure if the patch would be large enough, but if it is I would drill three holes across the repair, insert small metal rods (perhaps pieces of cattle panel wire) then attach a fourth piece across the three, then make your patch as before.

/ Concrete step #5  
For non structural concrete surface repairs, I've had good luck using Bondo epoxy automotive body putty. I use a wire brush to clean the damaged area, drill a few shallow holes to aid adherence and trowel it on. I sand lightly to match the concrete surface texture and paint the area with gray porch paint to hide the color mismatch.

I repaired my front concrete steps & porch edge this way 30 years ago and it still looks great.

/ Concrete step #6  
Instead of using concrete, I've had good results using grey thinset. It's a cement based mortar used for setting tile that sticks to everything extremely well. If allowed to cure for 30 days, it even works underwater in swimming pools.

/ Concrete step #7  
And then polyurethane them steps so water don't get in to freeze and bust.

/ Concrete step #8  
Those are pretty shallow. I am guessing that this is a patch for looks, right?

If you can chisel the edges deeper and/or drill some short holes for fasteners, you can help hold the repair in, but spalling, or shallow flakes are a tough repair, unless you are willing to chisel more out to get a deeper pocket. I would wire brush the surface to remove anything loose before trying to patch again.

Did you already try a hydraulic concrete? That would be the low cost way to go, and I would be tempted to skim the whole front of the step to get a color match. For just the spalled out area, have you tried an epoxy cement product that will soak in and adhere to the existing concrete? (E.g. something like sikadur-33) That is my first choice for a durable repair. By the looks of the seam/crack below, there was (is?) some ground motion of the bottom step that may push on the edge as well.

I like @bdhsfz6 and @EddieWalker's suggestions as well. I don't think that you can make a satisfactory repair with normal concrete. Moving to a grey glue like material with sand is most likely to last given the location.

All the best,

Peter

/ Concrete step #9  
Best way to repair this step? Form wasn’t pulled in time. Have tried concrete repair product along with concrete mix. Last for about a year until water gets behind and flakes off.
How are things going? What did you decide to do in the end?

All the best, Peter

/ Concrete step #10  
my neighbour had huge amount of scaling on his and tried to repair with thinset, self leveling concrete, etc......nothing seemed to work after so many attempts all summer.

Eventually he conceded and will let me offer my services to apply thinset morter and non slip outdoor tiles over the steps next spring when frost is out of the ground.