conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #11  
I like taking the whole loader off. It only takes a minute and the steering radius and visibility is drastically worse with it on. Also it rides rougher with it on.

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #12  
I keep the bucket on for the first mowing when the grasses are 3-4 feet high. I keep it low and slightly curled (reducing the risk of digging in). I also go slow enough so any critters can move out. Also, slow enough I can spot a fawn since they won't run until Momma's there
After the first mowing of the season, I drop the bucket since I mow frequently enough and the grasses are not more than a foot or so...
This year, at $7 per gallon of diesel, I don't think I'll be mowing the field...maybe just a small area at the range

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #14  
I see NO good reason to drag the bucket around, it's just dead weight that gets in the way,

Resized-20200902-165932-3956-S.jpg

SR

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #15  
I too just take the entire loader off. It just gets in the way most of the time and makes the tractor less stable. I do have front weight plus a front hydraulic winch though, so the front doesn't get light with the mower in the back.
I previously had a 10ft 3pt mounted JD cutter. When I removed the FEL I added 1000lbs of suitcase weights to the front. It was a heavy cutter!!!

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #16  
I like to walk fields before the first cut of the year, definitely before my first ever cut. A few hours on my feet or maybe an hour on the four wheel is much cheaper than a gearbox or worse.
What are you looking for?

/ conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #18  
Leave it on, the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Take it from a custom mowing & haying contractor.

With the loader and a bucket, you can:
Push downed trees out of the way and break off limbs overhanging the field (my favorite use-has saved me a bunch of times).
A loader with bucket can pull you out if you get stuck.
Lowered to about 6” and curled back, You can use it as a “braille” method to feel for rocks & stumps in new, unfamiliar fields
You can also load the bucket with dirt to stabilize the front end and improve traction on hills.
If you encounter a rock or stump and can dig it out, you can use the bucket to carry out of the field.
If you have other chores to do (fencing, wood sawing) you can carry tools, fence posts, etc. in the bucket.

Yesterdays mowing.
1653388349807.jpeg

Last edited:
   / conflicting advice on using bucket with rotary cutter #19