confused on how to get water to my barn

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
Hi all, i have a well, and i am not sure how i would run water to my barn. I have run water lines (copper) before but this boggles my mine. Where would i run the (PVC im guessing) pipe from, the well or the house. Also freezing is an issue im up in NE PA. BTW the barn is about 100-120ft from well. if i can get it there then i would like to run a line to where im putting in a large garden, and then hopfully set up a place where i can hook up a drip irrigation line for my blueberry bushes. (have about 100 replanted now).
thanks all in advance for the help,
i really appreciate it.
--forgeblast--
ps i have another forum post going in homemade about truck unloaders, need to make one similar to the Loadhauler system.
thanks

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #2  
HI forgeblast, Welcome to TBN!

You will need to go below frost line which is 2ft. here in southern Md maybe more where you are, Black pvc pipe with the barbed elbows glued and clamped and a frost free hose bib.

Tap in the cold water side coming out of your water tank with a tee and that should do it .... Easier said than done /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

And I wouldn't go any smaller than 3/4" , 1" would probably give you plenty of volume and good pressure... Just my thoughts on the subject /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #3  
Born and raised on a farm in NEPA I seem to recall 42" as the F.L. depth up there? Down here I use 38". Although I use my B.H. for my trench needs I've worked with the rental trenchers for the same purpose and they seem faster and neater for the task, especially when it gets a little confined.

Will you have cleaar shot at drilling the foundation for exit from house? If the barn isn't heated will you be using one of the hydrant taps there? I put one of them in for a customer, first one I ever did, kinda neat project! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ confused on how to get water to my barn
thank you both. I have a much better understanding of it now. i have to dig out around the foundation wall anyway, to put gravel in. The hydrant tap, i remembered seeing one of those thats what i need. I know a guy who put a couple in and he loves them.
Thank you all
forgeblast

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #5  
forgeblast,

You may want to check with a plumber about tapping into the well line upstream from the water tank at the house. From memory about 20 yrs ago, it seems that if your check valve is near the inlet of the tank, tapping in before the check valve effectively prevents the tank from helping that part of the circuit. The compression of air in the tank keeps the pump from turning on and off so frequently. Without the tank, your pump could wear prematurely.

I could be wrong.

John

Thanks, will talk to some people before i start cutting and fitting.
Oh one other thing. if i have a hydrant faucet at the barn how would i run another line off of it to a garden. Would i just put a t in and put the hydrant on the top and keep running the line?
thanks again
forgeblast

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #7  
Just T off to each hydrant.

To minimize problems in the future use the appropriate sized polyethelene pipe. Look for CTS for copper tube size lettered on the pipe. That's so you can use compression fittings for the joints. For any distance, I use 2" to minimize friction losses to minimize pressure loss. You won't need pipe that big but don't shortchange yourself.

Use the brass compression fittings with the stainless steel inserts for leak free joints. The barbed fittings will eventually leak when they rust. The compression fittings won't. They cost more but they're worth it. Install a yard hydrant in the appropriate locations. Be aware that some of the box stores sell imported hydrants. I'd go with a US made unit to be able to get repair parts.

If you can't find what you need at one of the box stores, there's usually a wholesaler that sells to the trade that will have what you need. They don't mind cash sales.

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #8  
Forgeblast,

Do you want the water at the barn all year around, or are you like me and only need it there spring to fall?

What I did is make provision to drain the line in fall, since my shed is lower in elevation than the house. I ran plastic pipe underground, but did not worry about how deep it is, since it will basically be empty, and whatever little water might be in there will not do harm when it freezes...

If you need the water during winter, it will pay to put the line pretty deep just to be sure...along with making provision to keep the lines inside the barn from freezing...

/ confused on how to get water to my barn #9  
I'm with Henro. If you can't drain it and only need it spring-fall, I'd be inclined to install frost-free bib valves at each end and just connect to the supply with a water hose. In the barn itself, you should be able to design the piping to drain as well. Connect to it with a hose there, too. I've a hose-supplied PVC line to my carriage house. I just drain it in the winter. I've also a hose-supplied water system to my pool equipment and deck area where I take all my spring-fall showers. I use "Tiny Titan" (2.5 gallon, 120v) hot water tanks in both the carriage house and pool equipment areas underneath sinks to provide hot water. They'll take the freezing here in Va, not sure about Pa.

For blueberries, just mulch them and water them a couple times initially. After that, I'll bet you don't need to water them. Just stick your finger into the mulch periodically to check its moisture. Cheapest way to water them is with an old hose. Just drill 1/8" holes where your plants are. Twist the hose so it discharges down. Found out this from our Master Gardener blueberry expert. I did my blueberries and other vines and trees in that area this way. Think I've only used the system a couple of times though. Mulch will keep the soil moist through a long dry spell.

Ralph

i really only need it during the spring and summer months, sometimes fall when im burning. The elevation of the barn is below the house....decisions decisions.
its not even that i need hot water, i just need some water and running a hose over and through some fencing we have around the bottom of the deck (to keep our dogs from getting caught ever single day) is just a pain. I will be diging up my whole yard this summer, im will be working my second job soon to rent the equipment and to get the suplies i need. Its going to be a pretty big undertaking and i just want everthing planed out now before i start diggin. PA has some nasty stone.

I do have the blueberries muched really good now, with compost that our local recycling center sells until i generate my own.

Thanks all for posting, i really appreciate it.
Forgeblast