Connection to starter solenoid on Ford 5000 Diesel

/ Connection to starter solenoid on Ford 5000 Diesel #1  

Kando

Silver Member
Tractor
2xFord 5000, Ford 960
Opted to change out the whole starter due to issues with starting, expedited by a couple days ago when the tractor wouldn't turn over. Engine barely attempted turning and then stopped altogether with just noise from the starter.

Ordered a starter from Steiner and can't quite figure out how to connect everything back together. On the old starter, the positive cable and the presumed starter switch cable were sitting on the same (only) post that fit them. Attempting the same on the new starter results in nothing but the generator warning light showing when the key is turned to the start position. Nothing from the 'ON' position which should normally show lights. I put the starter cable first then the positive cable. Tried it the other way around, positive then starter and get sparks when both battery cables touch the posts. I'm stumped.

First pic is the new starter on the tractor, battery cable showing to the left of the post, other cable to the right.

0416192332.jpg

Second pic is the old starter and a solenoid I bought to replace the old solenoid upon recommendation. The solenoid on the starter from Steiner has the same configuration as the new solenoid in the picture.

0416192338c.jpg

Last edited:
   / Connection to starter solenoid on Ford 5000 Diesel
Got it figured, case closed.