Considering a Branson 5520H

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #11  
If you're going to run a wood chipper, then you could probably use that 55hp. I would lean towards having the hp.

I don't run a wood chipper myself. I do run a 6' brush hog, and I'm running it off of 32 pto hp (37 engine). I have had no problems at all running 6' mower. I've mowed pastures that had grass standing above the height of my hood. Brush and weeds aren't as much hp load as thick grass. It varies, some sites get cut a few times a year, and some sites don't get cut for several years in a row. So it's all over the board as far as what I've been in. But as a rule of thumb, I don't go flying across open pastures due to not wanting to bounce myself to death, or tear up or abuse my equipment. For pastures that I'm unsure about what could be under the grass, I will go extra slow if I can't see the ground, and I ALWAYS mow with my FEL on and use my bucket as a feeler for what's ahead if I'm unsure about objects. I've "found" some things under the grass that the land owner "forgot" was there. So far no damage, but my cutter does look like it's been through a (small) war.

For pulling a plow, I think traction would be your biggest concern. I don't have a plow. I could probably pull a 1 bottom plow here (very little clay), but not sure I could pull a 2 bottom. I have the industrial tires, so traction for ground engaging tools is more limited. I would be more inclined to try a plow if I had ag tires instead of industrial. I would lean more towards a 6' tiller if I had to work in a new garden.

You're already planning the 3rd function and rear remotes (get 2 rear remotes min, and 3 may be better depending on your plans). So that's pretty good. I would certainly get your rear tires filled. I went with Rimguard as it's the heaviest fill and it doesn't freeze at -40F. I would also weld, or have welded some chain hooks across the top of your bucket. I have 4 welded across the top of mine, 1 on each corner and 1 each directly above the location of the FEL arm.

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #12  
I've got an 8" Woodmaxx chipper that I run on my 3725 (32 PTO hp). My stove does not like to burn Doug fir and we get plenty of hardwood so I chip all the fir I can fit into the chipper. I could really use more HP for that.

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #13  
I purchased a 2021 4820CH. At lower altitude I decided there was no need for the turbo and always better to keep things simpler (although I understand the branson turbos have been trouble free as far as I can see). I have not been wanting for power at 48HP and a hydrostat. I am told the newer 4-speed tranny is an improvement in terms of smoothness and synching over the older 3-speed models.

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #14  
I purchased a 2021 4820CH. At lower altitude I decided there was no need for the turbo and always better to keep things simpler (although I understand the branson turbos have been trouble free as far as I can see). I have not been wanting for power at 48HP and a hydrostat. I am told the newer 4-speed tranny is an improvement in terms of smoothness and synching over the older 3-speed models.
Congratulations Matt! Wishing you many years of productive and trouble free fun. BTW, please post photos of your new baby! We love baby pictures!

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #15  
Here is my shiny new object :)

Attachments

• tractor and flail mower.jpg
    tractor and flail mower.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 148
  • tractor and grader.jpg
    tractor and grader.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 145
   / Considering a Branson 5520H #16  
Looks to me like you are ready to go! Branson has updated their cab since I have bought mine. The new ones like yours appear to be much nicer.

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #18  
Very nice tractor. Keep us updated on how you like it. (y)

/ Considering a Branson 5520H #19  
I've been trying to buy a Mahindra for the last six months, but am striking out. The first model I had on order (a 3650) was discontinued, and they've just told me that the one I have on order now (a 2660) has a "stop sale" due to unspecified issues that they won't even tell the dealer. So I've started researching alternatives that might actually get me a tractor for this summer. What I'm looking for is something sturdy, simple, strong, and stable. Right now, this Branson seem pretty appealing, and I've found someone that actually has it in stock. Does anyone here have one, or similar, or have opinions?

Some questions:

How is the 5520H different than the 5220H that Branson now lists on their website? If I trust the specs that I've found, I think they are both 55HP engines, but the 5220H puts a little more power to the PTO (47.5 vs 44 HP) while the 5520H has slightly beefier hydraulics (15.3 vs 10.4 GPM). Is there a reason the 5520H was replaced?

What's the wisdom of going with a Turbo in the Bransons as opposed to a naturally aspirated engine? Is it worth the extra ~$2000? Is it reliable? Does it increase or decrease the engine noise? How does it affect the fuel efficiency? In case it matters, I'll be using it about 2000' above sea level.

There look to be two backhoe options for this, the BH760 and BH860. Are there any real differences between these besides the digging depth? Visually, the BH860 looks stronger. Can the thumb be added later or is it a factory only option?

Is there any problem with having the bigger IND25 tires on this? It looks like the rim clearance is very small, and might not have enough room for chains. Other than that, bigger tires strike me as better in most other ways.

I'm in Vermont, and it seems like there are no 40-60HP Hydrostatic Bransons to be found anywhere in the Northeast. There are two dealers about an hour from me, but they say orders from the factory have been taking many months. The dealer I've found who has this one in stock is in Tennessee and is willing to ship. Am I foolish to even consider this approach? I thought I was going to have a tractor 3 months ago, and I've got a large backlog of projects I thought I was going to have done by now. Is my desperation impairing my thinking?

Any thoughts appreciated.
I know absolutely nothing about Branson tractors, except.....I have yet to hear of a Branson owner who is not very pleased with his machine!
Get the BH that digs the deepest (BH860)!
Get a dealer installed thumb if at all possible.

Last edited:
   / Considering a Branson 5520H #20  
Looks to me like you are ready to go! Branson has updated their cab since I have bought mine. The new ones like yours appear to be much nicer.
The cab is quite nice I must say.