Buying Advice Considering an early 70's 830

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #1  

prichard

Veteran Member
Tractor
B2601 FEL
A friend is thinning his herd and I need a bigger bush hog and ground engagement machine.

What can y'all tell me about these tractors? Easy to work on? Parts available? Is gear tranny like a car manual tranny? Independent PTO means it's not tied to the clutch? Anything else I need to know? I don't mind turning wrenches.

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I know nothing about older tractors.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #2  
A friend is thinning his herd and I need a bigger bush hog and ground engagement machine.

What can y'all tell me about these tractors? Easy to work on? Parts available? Is gear tranny like a car manual tranny? Independent PTO means it's not tied to the clutch? Anything else I need to know? I don't mind turning wrenches.

Sorry if these sound like dumb questions but I know nothing about older tractors.
I do not know much about the 830 but here is some info for you

keep in mind there are 2 versions of the 830 this is the latest one.

/ Considering an early 70's 830
I do not know much about the 830 but here is some info for you

keep in mind there are 2 versions of the 830 this is the latest one.
Thanks. I found that and found operating manual. I've read pretty much everything I can find. It's hard searching for it since there seems to be a bigger following for the late 50s early 60s 830. Plus I don't think there were all that many produced.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #4  

The transmission requires complete stop to shift gears (1-4) when in range I (2-8) when in Range II. Reverse only gives gears 1-4. You must stop also to shift ranges (I & II) or to reverse.
The PTO is tied to the clutch. It has a two stage clutch. Push clutch pedal part way in and transmission is disengaged to shift gears and/or ranges/reverse. Push it in all the way to disengage the PTO.
Steering could be manual or power. If you want a loader (or it has one) you will want power steering AND side frames. Side frames connect the clutch housing to engine and the front frame support (mounts to front of engine, front axle mount to it)
830sideframes.JPG

It could also have vertical or horizonal exhaust.
I think you will find most parts available from JD. Not hard to work on.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #5  
Parts might be an issue...the 830 was only produced for a couple years.
But, if it runs good...you probably won't need parts too often. I would check with a local dealer to see if parts are available

My first couple Deeres (a 670 and 790) had the non-synchro 2 stage clutch and transmission. There's a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad and I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one

Parts might be an issue...the 830 was only produced for a couple years.
But, if it runs good...you probably won't need parts too often. I would check with a local dealer to see if parts are available

My first couple Deeres (a 670 and 790) had the non-synchro 2 stage clutch and transmission. There's a bit of a learning curve, but not too bad and I wouldn't hesitate in buying another one
Non sync is what zebrafive described? Have to stop tractor to shift? Seems weird to start in 8th gear.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #7  
Non sync is what zebrafive described? Have to stop tractor to shift? Seems weird to start in 8th gear.
Yes, non-synchronized. I normally only use 8th to "road" the tractor. I never use 7th. 6th is the highest I use on my property, usually moving place to place. 4th is highest I use to brush hog. Range II does not get much use (at least for me)
Diesel engines have a lot of torque, they can and will start in 8th.

Yes, non-synchronized. I normally only use 8th to "road" the tractor. I never use 7th. 6th is the highest I use on my property, usually moving place to place. 4th is highest I use to brush hog. Range II does not get much use (at least for me)
Diesel engines have a lot of torque, they can and will start in 8th.
Thank you. I'll talk to him this week and maybe drive over there next weekend.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #9  
I own a 1974 830 since 1998.

It's a great little tractor that punches above its weight.

Mine has a loader.

I've had no problems getting parts from my local dealer and online.

/ Considering an early 70's 830 #10  
Not trying to sway you away, and if it deal is right I'd probably buy too.....but the 830 is not an ideal bushhog tractor IMO. Its rather large and heavy for its horsepower.