Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #1  

MikeFarm

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6010C
Hi all

The Consumer Electronics Show (CES 2021) has just finished where companies show off their latest products. After that show was finished
six right-to-repair advocates assembled to present Repair.org's second annual "Worst in Show Awards" :) This is a selection of the "the least private, least secure, least repairable, and least sustainable gadgets at CES."

Congratulations to John Deere for getting the Community Choice poll for Worst in Show. Gay Gordon-Byrne, executive director of Repair.org, said that her organization is fighting the company in every state legislature to make its products easier to repair.

John Deere also received a Worst in Show from Paul Roberts, founder of securerepairs.org. He chose industrial equipment maker John Deere's fully autonomous 8R tractor, not because of known vulnerabilities but because of the way the company engages with the security community and the inevitability of bugs in the software governing such a complicated machine.

Here are some links: Worst of CES Awards: The least private, least secure, least repairable, and least sustainable at Worst of CES: Right-to-repair name and shames terrible tech and https://www.repair.org and ‘Worst In Show’ Highlights Fails on Repair, Security, Sustainability at CES The ere is a Youtube clip of the awards hosted by author and activist Cory Doctorow but its a bit slow moving at the start :)

Mike

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #3  

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #5  
I thought the complaint was that their software was the “most private.” and “too secure” ?
…but right to repair is a big issue, across many products, that, IMHO, they’re on the wrong side of.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #6  
I thought the complaint was that their software was the “most private.” and “too secure” ?
…but right to repair is a big issue, across many products, that, IMHO, they’re on the wrong side of.
Deere takes a lot of heat over this issue probably because of their stature in the market. Truth is as you say, a much wider issue that many, if not most manufacturers hold very similar positions on.

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #7  
I found the link interesting. I scanned down as far as 2010 and John Deere made the list three times out of the dozens of manufacturers. Even more interesting, New Holland made the list nine times. So does that mean New Holland is three time better than John Deere? 😃

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #8  
What I really want to know is do the larger family farms operate debt free at all? I mean $800k for a tractor here, $200k for an implement there….do they actually make that much farming to offset these super high costs for equipment?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #9  
What I really want to know is do the larger family farms operate debt free at all? I mean $800k for a tractor here, $200k for an implement there….do they actually make that much farming to offset these super high costs for equipment?
Debt is a tool used by the vast majority of successful businesses. Why would anyone think being debt free would be a requirement for owning equipment of any kind?

/ Consumer Electronics Show 2021 - John Deere gets a couple of "Worst in Show" awards #10  
Debt is a tool. Why would anyone think being debt free would be a requirement for owning equipment of any kind?

So is debt to income ratio and that is what I am getting at. It’s one thing too make $100k a year and have $100k do equipment debt to pay off. It is entirely another to make $100k a year and have $2 million in debt to pay off. I guess if the land the farmer owns is worth more than that debt they can sell at anytime….thats piece of mind If things dont go well.