Conventional or synthetic oil

/ Conventional or synthetic oil #11  
I use exactly what the owners manual recommends. 15W40 conventional oil in my tractor - 0W40 synthetic in my truck.

/ Conventional or synthetic oil #12  
Tacoma says "5w30" right on the oil cap. It has been running 0w20 for the last few years. Fine for gas engines at all temperatures.

/ Conventional or synthetic oil
There was a big discussion about motor oil on one of these forms. Someone also pointed out that air cooled motors should be using 30 weight oil in the summer time.

Dose your user manual suggest 10/30 motor oil?

Richard
My owners manual recommends 10/30 motor oil and I use Valvoline 10/30 currently. I do know for a fact that any conventional oil that is rated below 10/30, such as 5/30 or lower is a synthetic blend because it is chemically impossible to make it without using a synthetic.

/ Conventional or synthetic oil #14  
There are really 2 topics here - weight of oil - and synthetic vs conventional. Back to original question of synthetic vs conventional. I had a new Camry took to dealer for all service first 60,000 miles. Used synthetic and oil change interval was 10,000 miles. Choosing to use one versus the other depends upon the service intervals and hours or miles of usage. On a lawnmower used 1X per week for 1 to 2 hours for 5 or 6 months and change oil yearly using synthetic oil may be a waste of money.

/ Conventional or synthetic oil #15  
There are really 2 topics here - weight of oil - and synthetic vs conventional. Back to original question of synthetic vs conventional. I had a new Camry took to dealer for all service first 60,000 miles. Used synthetic and oil change interval was 10,000 miles. Choosing to use one versus the other depends upon the service intervals and hours or miles of usage. On a lawnmower used 1X per week for 1 to 2 hours for 5 or 6 months and change oil yearly using synthetic oil may be a waste of money.
Spending a little extra money for a whopping 2 quarts of full synthetic isn't going to cost that much more once a year but the protection it offers far out weighs the added cost.

Compared to liquid-cooled automotive engines, small engines run hotter; operate under constant load; generate more oil-damaging contaminants; suffer from neglected maintenance and are exposed to dirt, rain, snow and other extremes. Simply put, they're far tougher on oil that most people think.

AMSOIL Synthetic Small-Engine Oil isn’t merely a re-badged automotive oil. Instead, we designed it from the ground up specifically for small-engine dependability. You can rest assured your engines are protected even during periods of extended use when there’s no time for scheduled maintenance. It’s built to solve the problems that plague small engines, including wear, power loss, oil consumption, harmful carbon deposits and stuck rings and valves. It helps landscapers, contractors and other professionals get more work done and save money

Last edited:
   / Conventional or synthetic oil #16  
change oil yearly using synthetic oil may be a waste of money.
As I noted somewhere else, around here is a place called 'Baily's Discount' that is one of those overstock and insurance buy places and they usually have oil come in a couple times a year, and usually synthetic, so that is what I buy and use. Usually costs $1.99 to $2.99 a quart, depending on brand and whatnot.

This time around its Havoline ProDS for gas, and Chevron Delo CK-4 for diesel, @ $2.50/qt for 6 gallons:

3545_MOTOR-OIL-v3-CORRECTION.jpg

/ Conventional or synthetic oil
I run my X300 between 45-50 hours a year on conventional oil and change it when I put it to bed for the winter. It has 600 hours on it, I was just wondering if synthetic would have been a better choice and it only hold 2 qts so money is never an issue. I have a Rigid pressure washer with a Subaru engine and I did put synthetic in it cause it may sit for a year at a time unused. Guess I’ll just stick with 10/30 Valvoline.

/ Conventional or synthetic oil #18  
Buddy has a Detroit 8V92 on his dozer and never changes the oil. Just keeps adding. What don't leak out, it burns.