Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #12  
jinmalover said:
put in the small block chevy

Marvin Baumann Antique Tractors video at bottom

of course you could install one of these

Marvin Baumann Antique Tractors

Iknow , all good options and all open to me i've put many ford 6 cyl conversions in and it'easy just a frame stretch and alter front axle but i would have to buy an old combine ?
The chev and the 3208 210 hp i have sat around but would require a lot of beer and thinking and welding ( lol )

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #13  
In later years, well after the "N" series was history, Ford did offer a couple models with engines that were diesels by design that were converted to gassers. (3-cyl in 3000/3-cyl. in 4000) By starting life as a diesel, they had cranks,rods, ect that were heavy duty enough to survive the power and vibration of a diesel. The most well known gas to diesel conversion I know of was the Oldsmobile V-8 to GM diesel of the late 70's/early 80's. In case you don't remember that one, it WASN'T a very successful experiment. Massey Ferguson used a Perkins 3 cyl and 4 cyl. diesel in a few late 1950's tractors, along side of 4 cylinder gassers from Continental. At some point, Perkins and Massey teamed to build a VERY successful 3 and 4 cylinder gasser with those diesels as a base to replace those Continentals. They share a LOT of common parts with the diesel cousins. They were EXTREMELY popular. MANY still prowl the fields and farms of the world.

Long story short, the Ford N series engines were capable of producing enough power for their intended uses, but they weren't "over-built" to the point where they would have been a candidate for converting to a diesel. There are conversion kits available to install a number of commercially successful small diesels in place of the little Ford N motors. I've seen Perkins, Kubotas, and even a 3 cylinder Ford installed in an N chassis. My question would be.....WHY? For LESS money in the long run, you could sell the N, buy a ready made, non-cobbled, off-the-rack diesel tractor that WASN'T an oddball conversion, that would most assuredly be less trouble, more efficient, and prove itself to be an allround better performer.

But that's why we have mountains......So someone can climb them. Gotta do what you gotta do I guess.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #14  
If the basic engine was originally offered in either a diesel or a gas then yes all be it a expensive yes (very few engines have been offered in either gas or diesel over the years, I'm not sure about the one in your tractor). If the basic engine was not offered in a diesel then the answer is big no (this would be the majority of engines). The gas engine is no where strong enough to handle the increased stress that would be placed on it as a diesel. Gas engines have very low compression for starters, a diesel engine is a compression combustion engine (high compression to ignite the fuel) so there would have to be piston, rod, head and possibly crank changes made. A gas engine block is also very weak compared to a diesel block which has a very robust casting.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #15  
Yep... as FWJ pointed out.. ford didn't offer the 8n in diesel ( but did have a spark ignition 8nan in kero / TVO! ).. in any case.. again.. as FWJ pointed out.. ford made one of those rare gassers based on a diesel power plant.. .. and.. the 3 cyls fords were -very- reliable.. even the gassers..

Soundguy

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #16  
Trade up a few years into the 801D series. You'll have the 8N look & 35 +/- diesel HP. Many transmission options in that series. I had an 841 with over & under drive Sherman transmission - 12 forward speeds -3 reverse. MikeD74T

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #17  
For more power find a Funk conversion and place a 6 cylinder gas in it, or go with a period correct Ford Flathead V8.

Antique Tractor Shed - Ford Ford 8N with Funk V8
Ford 8N Funk Conversions

phil tokish said:
I just want more power and I like the look of the 8N but yea it would be way
to expensive to do so im thinking of buying a diesel ford 2000 or 3000
and keep the 8n more for show then work and get a newer ford for work

phil

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #18  
MikeD74T said:
Trade up a few years into the 801D series. You'll have the 8N look & 35 +/- diesel HP. Many transmission options in that series. I had an 841 with over & under drive Sherman transmission - 12 forward speeds -3 reverse. MikeD74T

More like 48 pto hp for the 8xx / 172 ci engine.. A hair less for the odd diesel. The 35 hp number is more in line with the 134 gasser or 144 diesel.. etc..

soundguy

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #19  

If I remember correctly, isn't that what soured the population on diesel autos when GM tried that fiasco in the '80's with the Oldsmobile?;)

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #20  
milkman said:

If I remember correctly, isn't that what soured the population on diesel autos when GM tried that fiasco in the '80's with the Oldsmobile?;)

That's what some say....