Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #21  
Kaliburz said:
That's what some say....

How can one forget about the Oldsmobile diesel that GM tried to market as an alternative to high gas prices.

What a marketing disaster...we're still feeling the effects of that decision today. You don't see many diesel cars in the USA...thanks to GM for that debacle.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #22  
This thought crossed my mind with regard to my 3 cylinder Ford 2000. It's got a problem with the carburetor and a new one is around $500. Not only that but, the new one will be a Zenith as they no longer make the Holley. Anywho, $500 would probably be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a diesel conversion. If I'm not mistaken, it's 158 cu.in. 3 banger has what's basically a diesel block.

What the thing REALLY needs is the diesel's 8x2 transmission instead of the 4x1 that it has. Probably best to get it running, sell it, and buy another Bota.
Bob

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #23  
I'm not sure where you are getting prices from.. but you sure aren't looking very hard..

Took me 3 seconds to find this:

Carburetor, New - With reversible linkage. This Zenith carburetor outperforms the original carbs used on: 2000 (3 cylinder 158 gas only) (Replaces Holly Part No: R3012, R3656 also replaces OEM Part No: C5NN9510L). Center to center on the 2 mounting bolts is 2 11\16 inches. Made in USA, 1 year warranty. (Part No: 13915) $289.83

Soundguy

Bob_Young said:
This thought crossed my mind with regard to my 3 cylinder Ford 2000. It's got a problem with the carburetor and a new one is around $500. Not only that but, the new one will be a Zenith as they no longer make the Holley. Anywho, $500 would probably be a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of a diesel conversion. If I'm not mistaken, it's 158 cu.in. 3 banger has what's basically a diesel block.

What the thing REALLY needs is the diesel's 8x2 transmission instead of the 4x1 that it has. Probably best to get it running, sell it, and buy another Bota.
Bob

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #24  
Local NH dealer, Soundguy. I think it was something like $479. And, come to think of it, it was a while back....before I had Internet access.

Anyway, where did you find that?
Bob

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #25  
Ytmag.com parts section..

Soundguy

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #26  
Every once in a while I see a old ford tractor with a flathead V8 in it on craigslist.
More power :)

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #27  
Converting it would be terrible idea. Swapping it would be a lot of work and probably never be right. Sell it and buy a diesel tractor.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #28  
The last year for two of the Olds diesel were decent enough but by then the reputation was ruined . The earlier engines were built to the bean counter’s specs instead of to the engineer’s specs .

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #29  
Is there a way to Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?
I have a ford 8N with a 4 Cylinder gas Engine and would like to
Convert or put a Diesel Engine in it

Certainly one of the least practical tractors to spend time and money on upgrading. Find a factory Ford 2000 or similar .

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #30  
How can one forget about the Oldsmobile diesel that GM tried to market as an alternative to high gas prices.

What a marketing disaster...we're still feeling the effects of that decision today. You don't see many diesel cars in the USA...thanks to GM for that debacle.

My father had one of those Oldsmodiesels. He had the engine replaced with a gasser.