Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #31  
We had a 1958 Ford 900, with wide front end, with a factory-stock diesel. That thing sipped fuel...

If you really wanted to do it, and I mean really do it, you might be able to find a reefer engine and throw in it. That would be a cheap way to get a 35 hp diesel to repower it, but you would have to really want it.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #32  
Is there a way to Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine?
I have a ford 8N with a 4 Cylinder gas Engine and would like to
Convert or put a Diesel Engine in it

Well, GM tried it. Big failure. Typical CR of gasoline engines back then were probably only about 7/1. Need at least about 14/1 for turbo diesel and up around 20-22/1 for plain diesel. That's a huge change then in forces involved on the pistons and rods and the cylinder head.

Would make more sense to try to convert to injected gas. You could improve fuel efficiency quite a bit with that. Maybe get some fuel injection rigs for a low hp Benz gas engine from the 70s or 80s.

Ralph

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #33  
that or use an adapter plate and just drop in a small diesel out of a junkyard.. etc..

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #34  
that or use an adapter plate and just drop in a small diesel out of a junkyard.. etc..

I'm new at this so what small diesel would I look for? Where would I start?

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #35  
What about just increasing your current motor power: increase compression, better intake and/or exhaust flow, reduced generator parasitic loss, smaller diameter drive tires, etc.

/ Convert a gas Engine to a Diesel Engine? #36  
Just buy a diesel tractor, an 8n just isn't the tractor to put a lot more hp or torque through it, UNLESS you just want a toy.

SR