Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #21  
Very nice work, Von! Just amazing that the FORD orange is sooo close to 'Bota orange!! 8 seconds sounded a tad slow when I first read it, but now that I think about it, you're probably talking about over 180 degrees of rotation, so maybe it is perfect- you will have to update us along about Dec. when you've had some experience using it.

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #22  
Re: Converted my snowblower chute to electric! pho

Von.... if I can tear you away from some of your other projects, could you please give us an update on how well the electric motor worked on the snowblower this past winter? I just purchased a Kubota Snowblower for my BX and I was thinking of doing this modification to it. thanks ...

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #23  

Junkman,

A couple of us have added motors to the BX snowblower with great results. I've done mine with a power window unit as the wiper motor was too fast. Another has done it with a hydraulic motor to the 4way valve. It is a great mod to the snowblower.

Go for it,
Michael

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #24  

pcmem....... could you please post some pictures? What car did the motor come from???? thanks

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #25  

Junkman,

Sorry for the delay getting back but I've been busy /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I don't have pics online anymore but here is the original thread with pics. Otherwise let me know and I'll dig them up. As for the motor I asked salvage for the cheapest and found a wreck he said if I pulled it I could have it. I seem to recall is was a Mazda 626 or something, shouldn't really matter and you can buy new replacements at the auto parts stores. Removed the gear window drive and went to work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've since done the chute as well. Works great with my homemade cab.

Enjoy,
Michael

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos

Junkman,
Just saw that you asked me a question on this! I guess I have been spending too much time working on that Unimog! I don't get here as often as I used to. Anyway It worked great, and I wouldn't change a thing! I think I got it right the first time around! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif That doesn't happen that often! PM me if you have any questions, sorry for being so late on answering you. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #27  

Von,

How many wires does your window motor have? I found some mid-1990's motors that had three wires. The motors had a park feature. I think having three wires would necessitate having a special switch.

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #28  
The three wires are UP.... DOWN.... and Ground, I believe. I don't think that they ground the motor through the motor case any longer.

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #29  
No time available for scrounging, so I used a basic harbor freight winch ( $40 on sale) Split a sprocket with a 1-1/4" bore onto the winch cable spool, with a short chain drive to a mating sprocket on the blower crank. As others pointed out, the freewheel option on the spool lets you handcrank of needed. The winch kit gave me the wiring and controls switch as well. A bit slow, about 25-30 seconds for a 180 degree sweep, but beats stretching.

/ Converted my snowblower chute to electric! photos #30  
I think if you stick with about pre '92 window motors, you'll find they are 2 wire. I used one from an 88 Chrys 5th ave. that was laying around, welded a bushing on the gear and attached. Have an 11 second sweep-180 degrees.