Converting 9n to 12v

/ Converting 9n to 12v #1  

Anonymous Poster

I just bought a Ford 9n. It has been converted to 12v. I have heard that with it being converted, the alternator does not charge the battery as much as it should be. To help solve this, the connection off the top of the alternator can be used to wire to the battery to charge it better.

Does any of this make any sense?

Thanks
Ken H.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #2  
Re: Converting to 12v

I converted my old 1952 Case DC-4 to 12 volt a few years ago. It is not that hard to do. I used an old GM alternator with the built in regulator. There are only three wires to hook up. The two heavy wires go through an amp gauge and then to the positive battery post and the third smaller wire is connected to a toggle switch which also connects to the positive battery post. I just have to remember to turn on the toggle switch when I start the tractor and switch it off when I shut down to keep from draining the battery. The hardest part of the changeover is mounting the alternator so the pully lines up.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #3  
Re: Converting to 12v

I did the same thing to my Farmall H a couple of years back. I used a three position switch with a spring return start position. All I need to do is "tickle" the alternator when I start my tractor and the switch automatically resets itself.

There is a good article on the Yesterday's Tractors web site about how to do it.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #5  
Yes it makes perfect sense, on a one-wire alternator with the self-exciting regulator you have to rev the engine up to approx. 1500 rpm to make the alternator start charging, which is not particularly good for a cold engine, a regular three-wire setup is better for tractor applications you can energize the regulator as soon as the engine starts and be charging from the word go.

/ Converting 9n to 12v
But, you also will need a switch to stop it from draining the battery when not running though also?

Ken H.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #7  
The center position on the three-way switch needs to be the open circuit position. Toggle-up to energize the alternator and the spring returns it to center. Does not drain the battery on my H.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #8  
An alternator should charge better than thr original generator, if it is installed properly.

Some like the one wire design.. some the 3 wire.

I personally like to use one with a regulator so it will charge at a low rpm.

Soundguy

/ Converting 9n to 12v #9  
You could try swiching pullys. The N's turn a lot slower then the car engines did. Speed up the alt a bit, and it will charge better.

/ Converting 9n to 12v #10  
Yes if you use the 3-wire you will need some way to turn the power off to the regulator, the momentary on toggle switch one of the other guys suggested would work fine, also dont be tempted to wire the regulator wire into the ignition side of the switch because the power will bleed back thru the regulator wire and cause the tractor to keep running after you turn the switch off. It can be done that way but you hafta install a diode in the regulator wire.