Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #1  

js5020

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti CX2510, Kubota BX23S, AC5020, JDx300R
Hey guys I just got a nice little south bend lathe, problem is it was setup for 480 3 phase, I need to get it changed to 110 or 220 volt. The person I got it from removed the motor and stuff but stoped at that point and I don't know if all the old stuff is there. What do I need to get to get it up and running?

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #2  
If the motor is gone you will need to decide wether you want 110 or 220.
For 110 you only need one leg off the switch and switch the hot(black) wire. For 220 you'll need two legs off the switch and they both get switched because thier both hot.

You also need to know the amp draw of the motor you get to make sure the switch and wire is rated correctly.

If you mean you have the original motor and want to convert it down then I'm not sure. I know you need a "box" to go the other way.

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt
I have no problem putting a new motor on this as it will more than pay for it's self oh and I bought it right (free). I need to be able to spin the motor both directions ( not at the same time ). Maybe I'm making to much of this and all I need is a motor.

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #4  
js5020 said:
Hey guys I just got a nice little south bend lathe, problem is it was setup for 480 3 phase, I need to get it changed to 110 or 220 volt. The person I got it from removed the motor and stuff but stoped at that point and I don't know if all the old stuff is there. What do I need to get to get it up and running?
Go on over to the Practical Machinist discussion forums and ask this question in the South Bend Lathe forum. Someone over there will tell you exactly what you need and how to do it.

Practical Machinist discussion forums

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #5  
If the main switch is with the lathe it is probably wired so you can reverse the motor. If the main switch is missing you will have to buy a reversing switch and do a little research to wire it to the motor correctly. A schematic should come with the switch and many are pre wired to make hooking it to the motor easy. If the motor is a single phase motor you will need to pause for a second or so before reversing it.
I love my 10 inch South Bend lathe but wish I had a 14 inch or at the very least a gap bed.
Take a few clear photos of the motor mounting and drive area as well as a few of the lathe and I should be able to tell if most of the items are there.
Farwell

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #6  
A three phase motor will run for a fraction of the cost compared to a single phase counterpart. But you'll need a phase converter. We picked up a digital Sanyo at eBay for our South Bend.

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #7  
An electric motor repair center should be able to answer all your questions.Yes 3ph. power is cheaper to use, but I replaced a 20 yr.old 16" delta band saw because it needed a starter.It was actually cheaper to buy a new Delta 16" from Lowes with 110 power than replace the switch and all the parts will still interchange.

I'll get a better "look" at things tomorrow, the switch is there but the original motor is gone, I was told they tried to put a 1/2 hp 110 motor on it but it didn't want to start and they gave up. I'll need to do some research to find the motor size, and some model #s.

/ Converting a lathe to 110 or 220 volt #9  
You may want to join this group to ask questions, these folks have all the answers. South Bend Group

Ok got a better look at things today, it's a South Bend 9", there is a new 1/2 hp reversable motor on it. I looked up the specs at South Bend and originally the lathe had a 1/4 or 1/3 hp on it. It does not have a reversing drum switch on it, but rather push button style switch with a Furnas control box. I think the first thing I'll do is to bypass the control box, just to try it and if there are no start up problems just put a drum switch on it.