Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach?

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #1  

Gunfighter

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 790, Steiner 230, IH 340U, Farmall Super C, Farmall C, IH Cub Cadet, Wheel Horse 8.75
Have A J.D. 790 tractor with 70 loader. Would like to convert to J.D. Quick Attach.
Has anybody else done the conversion and what problems did you run into...

Thanks in advance.. Richard...

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #2  
Hi Richard, I've got a 790/70 as well. Haven't looked specifically at converting but by comparing a 419/420/430 you should get some ideas. My only concern would be the increased weight and reduction in lift capacity. The 70 loader isn't rated all that high as it is.

If you do it, post some photos and let us know all about it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #3  
I have considered modifing my 70 but I always seem to decide not to ... I will be very interested to see what you turn up ....
Leo

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #4  
Richard, I don't know if it is possible to convert your JD 70 loader to Deere's type of quick attach. However, ATI Corporation, a TBN advertiser, makes a quick attach to convert your loader over to the universal mount "skid steer" type of quick attach.
This type of quick attach is the way the whole industry is going: New Holland, Kubota, Woods, Great Bend, & Bush Hog all use this type. It may be wise to go this route to begin with. Any loader attachment that you purchase would be able to be used on any future tractor purchase. Just my humble opinion.
Jack

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #5  
I explored doing this 2 years ago, and decided not to proceed because of the weight of the adapter for both the implements and the loader arms. I found most of the commerical units had a combined weight of over 250 pounds and I couldn't give up that much. I also found them pricy, like over $500 for both sides. So I continue to pull the 4 pins and go from there. I have looked at making a lighter weight unit like used on the 410 loaders and may at some point cut the plates off my bucket and use them as the loader arm base starting point.

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #6  
I converted my Mahindra bucket to a quick detach. Makes it a lot easier to change loader attachments. I also built a forklift attachment to use on the loader. Since converting mine I have had several request from neighbors to convert theres. Have converted one JD for a friend. I cut the mounting flanges off my bucket and used them for the loader mounts. I then fabed some hooks out of 1/4 inch x 3 inch plate for the top hooks and welded pins at the bottom to fasten the mounts to the bucket. I have some pics if your interested.

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #7  
Pictures please, your method may motivate me to finally convert mine.

Thanks

/ Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #8  
Here is the first pic. They are not the best. You can see that after cutting the mounts off the bucket, that I welded some plate between them and at the top I put a piece of one inch round stock.

Attachments

• 337829-MVC-269F.JPG
    337829-MVC-269F.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,835
   / Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #9  
Here is a pic of the front of the set up with out the bucket attached

Attachments

• 337831-MVC-268F.JPG
    337831-MVC-268F.JPG
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,312
   / Converting J.D. 70 loader to Quick Attach? #10  
Pic of bucket