Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
I posted my progress over on OTT and thought this might be useful to others here.

The issue: The Blizzard B64 that I picked up on Craigslist last year had manual rotation and deflector. My previous tractor / snowblower had hydraulic control for both and I wanted at least chute rotation. Turns out after the 1st storm my chute rotation conversion was great but it got old hopping off/on the tractor to change the deflector. I just finished the project and will describe my steps for anyone contemplating a similar conversion.

The chute: I simply disconnected the manual crank arm right at the worm gear connector and removed it. A friend of mine welded up a bracket for mounting the motor to. A double universal joint was used between the motor shaft and short piece of 1/2" steel rod connecting to the worm gear. The motor was found on Ebay, 1/17hp 45rpm at shaft. It takes about 9 seconds to rotate 180 degrees. In use I'm usually only rotating much less than that.
motor final 1.jpg

I used a weatherproof, dpdt, center off lighted switch mounted in the empty draft control slot. Later on for the deflector I added a second switch below it.

switches installed small.jpg

I had previously installed a small fuse block on the inside of the right fender so power was readily available. The angle bracket that goes between the ROPS and used to support the small toolbox was a convenient place to mount 2 waterproof connectors.

connector installed and wired 20220111_170120_resized.jpg

Split loom was used to protect the exposed wiring.

The deflector was really easy to convert. There are many Youtube videos showing electric linear actuators mounted on the side of the chute to push up the deflector. I just couldn't get comfortable with exerting the force just on one side. I'm sure it works based on the number of people doing it but I decided to go a different route.

completed_20220116_095803.jpg

The actuator is rated at 220lbs (more than needed), has a 4" stroke and has built in nonadjustable limit switches. It was perfect. There are 2 pairs of stainless steel 5" X 3" angles that were used - the 3" 'feet' were cut back to 2" and I had to grind an angle into the lower pair so the actuator could tilt forward.

Here are 2 short videos of the finished product
View of completed conversion
Demo

It was a fun project and I encourage anyone with manual snowblower controls to consider it. My all in cost was < $300

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #2  
Very nice setup. The only change I could suggest would be to turn the actuator upside down to lessen the chance of water getting past the shaft seals and causing future problems.

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric
Very nice setup. The only change I could suggest would be to turn the actuator upside down to lessen the chance of water getting past the shaft seals and causing future problems.

Thanks for the suggestion 07wingnut

I have seen that recommendation before. The actuator is rated for wet operation, not immersion. To me that pretty much means keep it dry. That said I never blow snow in the rain :) However I have heard that snow can turn to water given the right conditions :)

Initially I thought I would have to make the mounting brackets longer if I reversed it. Looks like it will clear if I flip it but will have to lengthen the wire a few inches.

Since I'm on to another project (putting in a dedicated garage door rec/xmtr for the tractor) it will have to wait until the next storm. I'll see if it really gets wet and change it then.

btw is you moniker in any way related to one of my old license plates auwing?

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #4  
No, I don't believe it is. On the topic of moisture contamination of the linear actuator, I do not blow snow when its raining either, but after finishing snow clearing, the ram was almost always wet. Now that it is inverted, the ram still gets wet, but not at the seal where the ram retracts into the actuator. You could be right that it would never be a problem, but why tempt fate.

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #5  
Thanks for the suggestion 07wingnut

I have seen that recommendation before. The actuator is rated for wet operation, not immersion. To me that pretty much means keep it dry. That said I never blow snow in the rain :) However I have heard that snow can turn to water given the right conditions :)

Initially I thought I would have to make the mounting brackets longer if I reversed it. Looks like it will clear if I flip it but will have to lengthen the wire a few inches.

Since I'm on to another project (putting in a dedicated garage door rec/xmtr for the tractor) it will have to wait until the next storm. I'll see if it really gets wet and change it then.

btw is you moniker in any way related to one of my old license plates auwing?
I've used similar actuators for years. I take 07wingnut's advice and mount it with the cylinder down. They are not waterproof worth a hoot no matter what the ISP is.

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #6  
These actuators are suppose to be waterproof but they got wet. Go figure! (its in the front with the wires) No rain was involved for these pics.
new drag woking live.jpg

/ Converting manual snowblower chute rotation and deflector to electric #7  
Nice setup. Good work!