Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,771  
This work place thing? I don't think I know what that is. Could you post a photo?:unsure:
That's what some of us do so others can stay home and be lazy. Maybe when I'm 70 I'll quit.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,772  
That's what some of us do so others can stay home and be lazy. Maybe when I'm 70 I'll quit.
Like you hang around a bowling alley or library? I need details.
I'm 62 and have so much spare time.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,773  
These were taken about 9 hours ago by our son in-law. He's up near Anchorage. (click to enlarge)

Resized_20240118_000302_1705568645337.jpeg Resized_20240118_000846_1705576703515.jpeg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,774  
Screenshot of a Steiner Tractor Facebook post that popped up on my Facebook page today. For those who don't believe it snows in the Nevada desert....
We believe it snows in the Nevada Desert!

Last camping trip before older daughter left for college, sort of a celebration of the end of childhood for her. 1999. We had always spent as much time as possible primitive-camping at our remote mining claim in the Sierras but it was too early in Spring to get in there.

This photo is at Fort Churchill Nevada. On the Carson River, before it disappears into the 40 mile desert. (Now, into Lahontan Reservoir).

Mom (b 1910) often repeated the stories her grandmother (b 1835) told of the hardship of crossing that desert in a covered wagon after 3 months on the trail. Then winching their wagons up Carson Pass with block & tackle.They likely came through exactly where this simple campground is today. Great place to share family folklore with the next generation.

At any rate - It does snow in the Nevada Desert. We had to wait for Caltrans to lift chain control before we could get back over the summit, and home. Great adventure!

pic00384fortchurchill99-jpg.583127

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,775  
This photo is at Fort Churchill Nevada. On the Carson River, before it disappears into the 40 mile desert. (Now, into Lahontan Reservoir).

Mom (b 1910) often repeated the stories her grandmother (b 1835) told of the hardship of crossing that desert in a covered wagon after 3 months on the trail. Then winching their wagons up Carson Pass with block & tackle.They likely came through exactly where this simple campground is today. Great place to share family folklore with the next generation.

Few people know the history of Fort Churchill. But it was a fort built for the US Cavalry to protect the wagon trains from Indian attacks. Here's a photo of the adobe walls still standing (it is now a State Park and protected):
Fort Churchillrtbn1-22-24.jpg

Just up the road along the Carson River is Susan's Bluff, with its own unique story:Dennis Cassinelli: The tragedy at Susan’s Bluff

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,776  
View attachment 848131

Just up the road along the Carson River is Susan's Bluff, with its own unique story:Dennis Cassinelli: The tragedy at Susan’s Bluff
Thank you! I had never heard that story. The context meshes with what we were told. Our forebears had an ox pulling their wagon simply lay down and die in the heat of "the dreaded Forty-mile Desert". And Great Grandma walked back in the moonlight to retrieve the sadirons that were jettisoned to lighten the wagon, "No family of mine is going to go out in public in California in un-ironed clothes!" she declared. :)

They too encountered hostile Indians but the outcome was ok. Great Grandma was making bread when a group of Indians appeared by surprise. By gestures they indicated give us the bread dough Or Else. After a tense time, Great Grandpa said to hand over the lump of dough and the Indians departed.

Incidentally - Dayton, on the Carson River near Susan's Bluff, was the outflow for the Sutro Tunnel. This was built to intersect, underground, all the mines of the incredibly rich Comstock Lode at Virginia City. This provided drainage and a downhill route to dump waste rock instead of pulling it up a couple thousand feet to the surface above. A marvel of 1800's engineering.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,777  
Our forebears had an ox pulling their wagon simply lay down and die in the heat of "the dreaded Forty-mile Desert".
There is a volunteer organization called the California Trails Association which has put up informational signs all along the original California trail. These signs are made of railroad rail to keep vandals from destroying them, and contain excerpts from journals kept by people on the wagon trains. Here's one that corroborates your statement about animals dying crossing the desert:
P1010908ertbn1-22-24.jpg

And here's another one I found interesting about a fatal fight that ended up in banishment from the wagon train. Always made me wonder if the banished person ever made it to safety:
P1007490ertbn1-22-24.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,778  
More about James Reed, mentioned as banished on that second panel. That was the wagon train that got trapped at Donner Lake by winter snow. (photo, snow at Donner Pass).

James Reed made it to Sutter's Fort and helped organize a rescue mission with John Sutter. About half the Donner Party were dead while some had survived by cannibalism.