Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,991  
Only seen one once here in NY.
We have at least one mating pair who talk to each other across the woods.
They are really great at stump removal too!

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,992  
Bluejay X2

Bluejay x2.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,994  
These are from 30 miles south of Buffalo, NY.

I got up at 3am to see if I could see the northern lights from where I lived. It's very rare to see them here. I did not have any experience photographing them, but I was happy with the results. Just walked around the yard for an hour in 36-degree temps.

Northern lights 1.jpg

Northern lights 2.jpg

Nothern lights 3.jpg

Northern lights 4.jpg

Northern lights 5.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,995  
Great shots of the Northern Lights. It was cloudy here, so we didn't even try to see them. Apparently some people in Texas got to see them too.

/ Cool Nature Photos
#2,996  
ISS Sun Transit

This is a composite of 27 photos I took (at 10fps) on April 14th, 2024. The dotted line is the International Space Station transiting (passing in front of) the sun.

I used a website call ISS Transit Finder to determine when and where to get the shot. The total transit took less than 3 seconds, which is about the max duration possible due to the relative speeds and distances between the Earth, Sun, & ISS.
2024-04-14_07-17-05_0561.jpg
ISS Transit Path.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,997  
I'm blown away that you figured out when and where the ISS was going to be, and you where able to get pictures of it in front of the sun!!!!!

That's just amazing.

/ Cool Nature Photos
#3,000  
Only a month after chasing the eclipse, my wife and I found ourselves in pursuit of another sun-based phenomenon, the aurora borealis. We found ourselves at Pymatuning Lake on the border or PA and OH, spending an all-nighter enjoying the northern lights.

The aurora was extra strong this weekend, and visible abnormally far south, due to several large coronal mass ejections (CMEs) from an abnormally big sunspot pointed toward Earth. It's been 21 years since the last geomagnetic storm this large.

CMEs are large expulsions of plasma and magnetic field from the Sun’s corona. When the suns particles reach Earth, they interact with various molecules in different levels of the atmosphere, creating the various patterns and colors we see.

This is a panorama I took of the aurora over the lake Friday night.

Panorama.jpg