Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,441  
My gramps who would be 112 if he was still around used to call our big Blue Heron that look very similar to yours Mud Cranes cause he said they were always in the mud around tide flats and ponds and lakes. I wonder if your sand cranes are really Blue Herons?

nice winter pics guys and I for one am ready for summer.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,442  
Nah, those are sandhill cranes for sure. We have both those and the great blue herons. You can tell them apart from a distance both on land and in the air. Also, the cranes make a very unique sound. And, you'll almost never, ever, see a pair of great blue herons except at the nest. Almost always solitary.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,443  
Springtime in the Nevada desert just south of my homestead...
P1014383ertbn4-11-22.jpg

Picture was taken this past Saturday. Today it is snowing!

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,444  
Very nice! (y)

One year we went to visit a relative in Tucson. The desert had just bloomed. Amazing colors. It's just something you don't expect to see out there if you're not from there.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,445  
My gramps who would be 112 if he was still around used to call our big Blue Heron that look very similar to yours Mud Cranes cause he said they were always in the mud around tide flats and ponds and lakes. I wonder if your sand cranes are really Blue Herons?
There is no confusion here between blue herons and Sand hill cranes. Sand hill's are quite unique.

/ Cool Nature Photos #1,450  
When I was a lifeguard, we'd watch the clouds, hoping for lightning, so we could close the beach but still get paid as we had to stay until closing in case the storm passed. So we were always on the lookout for cumulonympho clouds.