Cool Nature Photos

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,491  
4 bucks parading through my back yard.
Anyone ever see 4 together before??
View attachment 814150
Yes. Many years ago at a local state park, the deer were out of control. It was nothing to see herds of 60 or more. Almost always does and fawns of the year. Then you'd drive around a curve and there'd be a dozen bucks in a group. Probably the bachelors. :ROFLMAO:

There were so many dear that you could see completely through the forest for hundreds of yards. Anything under about 6' up was eaten to the ground.

Finally, the state started a thinning operation and had hunts inside the parks to thin the population to more "natural" levels. Seems to have worked. Lottery system. You could shoot does or bucks, but bucks had their antlers sawed off and left with the state, so no trophies. Just meat.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,492  
Peregrine Falcon in a dive.

View attachment 814148
Nice!

There's an OSPREY nest on top of a local TV stations short tower. The parents have raised 1 chick to fledgeling stage. Stopped by there two days ago and the baby was standing in the nest screaming while the parents were flying around trying to get it to fly. Kinda funny how much it was screaming. Must have been hungry! Finally if took off and flew around a short bit and landed on a nearby building. I saw it return to the nest later and keep screaming.

Baby is currently there right now.

Last edited:
   / Cool Nature Photos #2,493  
Here's a screen grab I got yesterday. The baby is screaming for fish. The adult was eating it. In the past, the adult would tear off pieces and feed it to the baby. Yesterday, it just sat there eating the fish while the baby screamed! :ROFLMAO: I'm guessing it's trying to get the baby to pick at the fish itself. Hunger will prevail eventually.
(click to enlarge)
IMG_4223.jpeg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,494  
4 bucks parading through my back yard.
Anyone ever see 4 together before??
View attachment 814150
I've seen 4+ we call the bachelor mostly in clover field towards evening,but nothing like the head gear those fellows are caring. (y)

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,495  
Here's a screen grab I got yesterday. The baby is screaming for fish. The adult was eating it. In the past, the adult would tear off pieces and feed it to the baby. Yesterday, it just sat there eating the fish while the baby screamed! :ROFLMAO: I'm guessing it's trying to get the baby to pick at the fish itself. Hunger will prevail eventually.
(click to enlarge)
View attachment 814184
What is it, 30 miles or so to Lake Michigan? I did not know Ospreys nested that far from their food source. Or are they fishing the river? They nest in our trees, so I am used to seeing them carrying fish right up to the nest. I enjoy seeing them dive feet first into the water straight down. Eagles do it with feet on a swoop of course, King Fishers and Terns go beak first. There were two King Fishers fighting over my dock yesterday, territorial like Herons.

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,497  
Not great photos, but this one visited in the yard for 30+ mins a couple of days ago... Definitely one of the larger ones we've ever seen on our property...

Cat 4.jpg

Cat 5.jpg

Cat 3.jpg

/ Cool Nature Photos #2,500  
Nice!

There's a peregrine falcon nest on top of a local TV stations short tower. The parents have raised 1 chick to fledgeling stage. Stopped by there two days ago and the baby was standing in the nest screaming while the parents were flying around trying to get it to fly. Kinda funny how much it was screaming. Must have been hungry! Finally if took off and flew around a short bit and landed on a nearby building. I saw it return to the nest later and keep screaming.

Baby is currently there right now.

Uh, those are Osprey.