Cool water temp too cool?

/ Cool water temp too cool? #1  

MDM

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L2800HST
I have a 2210D. Is it possible for a tractor to run too cool? While mowing this past weekend in 50 degree weather, my water temp only got up to 110. It usually runs about 150 in 80 degree weather. My coolant mixture is 33% antifreeze. I am going to go to 50/50 for winter. Is there such a thing as running too cool?

/ Cool water temp too cool? #2  
A diesel engine runs most efficiently at about 195 degrees F. You might try blocking off a portion of the radiator to reduce airflow and increase engine temps. A good, operable thermostat is the best method to manage engine temps though.

/ Cool water temp too cool?
Does anyone have any input on this subject? Anyone else run this cool? You guys have never let me down before.

/ Cool water temp too cool? #4  
I do not know what temp my YM2020 runs at but I can tell When it is not warmed up. running an engine too cold will let fuel get into the oil. It willcause the engine to burn more fuel. The sender or gauge may be giving you misinformation. Check or just replace the thermostat It may be stuck open.

There is no thermostat on a 2210. I guess I will increase the amount of coolant in the mixture and see if the temp comes up a bit.

/ Cool water temp too cool? #6  
Just put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator. Maybe put a crease in it so you can set it for 80% covered and 40% covered.

This works fine for warmup and I expect it was standard procedure when these tractors were new. I don't think Yanmar ever intended more precise temperature control than this, or they would have included a thermostat.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Just put a sheet of cardboard in front of the radiator. Maybe put a crease in it so you can set it for 80% covered and 40% covered.

This works fine for warmup and I expect it was standard procedure when these tractors were new. I don't think Yanmar ever intended more precise temperature control than this, or they would have included a thermostat.

)</font>

I should have thought of that one myself. Thanks. I will try it. I guess that is why you see trucks with their grill partially covered in the winter.