coon after cat food

/ coon after cat food #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
Have a screen room where the cat lives - yesterday morning I noticed the bag of cat food was torn and food scattered - cat doesn't do that - found a hole in the screen - last night the wife watched and discovered a racoon trying to come back for seconds /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif... this is IN TOWN /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif... guess I'll have to buy a live trap and relocate rocky.

/ coon after cat food #2  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Have a screen room where the cat lives )</font>

I'd keep your cat out of the porch at night as well. The coon may find it more appetizing than the cat food.

/ coon after cat food #3  
Eliminate, don't relocate - please.
We don't want the racoon 'here' either.
Please.

/ coon after cat food #4  
I have the same problem, so far 1 down and not sure how many to go. Sheridan 5mm Air rifle does a good job and is quiet /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ coon after cat food #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( this is IN TOWN )</font>

I've seen a pair scurrying down a storm sewer drain in the city before.

/ coon after cat food #6  
Just wondering about this, where the cat food is, is there a water dish kinda close, or some sort of water supply? Coons have no saliva glands and when they eat something dry they choke without a water source. If anyone has ever watched a coon eat they'll submurge it in water before they eat it. When we had them I always had to have the bucket of water filled for them.

/ coon after cat food #7  
<font color="green"> they choke without a water source. If anyone has ever watched a coon eat they'll submurge it in water before they eat it </font>

Grumpa,
I have to say that it isn't always the case. I have handfed racoons for years at our recreational property. I can go through a box of graham crackers or animal cookies in one session with the two that I feed. They will eat until I run out and not have any water to wash it down. Unless it is a regional thing? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ coon after cat food #8  
I remember always seeing pics of racoons 'washing' their food in a stream. Made for good press, I guess. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But I have lots of racoons, and there is no water source for at least a mile away. And I don't think they run back and forth. So I'm guessing at the moment that this info isn't correct for all coons, and some, like mine, must have learned to adapt. Maybe the bird eggs this time of year makes up for not having water /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

But it is something I have wondered about too. Maybe I can fix up a waterer with antifreeze in it for some 'poisonous' liquid /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

/ coon after cat food #9  
No water close to my garbage cans and it does not seem to stop them /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ coon after cat food #10  
Slowrev,

You could have the 101st Airborne standing guard over your trash cans... If the coons are hungry... They'll still come.

That is if they make it through the minefield /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,
Chris