Coons got my sweet corn!

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #11  
/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif....if that is the case, I may have to bribe 'em with vegies to keep away from my cigars....either way, I end up out of pocket.../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #12  
The last time I planted sweet corn I was wiped out by those little devils. They started on a Monday night just before it was ready to eat and by the end of the week it was practically gone. They never bothered my field corn, just the sweet corn. I have a large dog and my garden is close to the house but I guess he is not a light sleeper/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif.

Good luck!!

TBone

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #13  
Chuck52,

I don't know if you've solved the problem of the deer but 1 of the things we've found that works really well is a double fence around your garden. I know - it sounds like alot of work but you can decide for yourself. We put up one fence and another a couple of feet inside of that one. Then deer seem to have some sort of three dimensional issue with two fences. Not sure why but it does work. If you have a small garden this should be easy to do. Just thought I'd pass it along.

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #14  
Get an electronic scarecrow (Scatmat.com). I love to watch the rabbits-- they have learned they can get within 30 feet of my garden but no closer. One brave bunny endured several shots of water before he finally gave up and ran for the woods. My neighbor thought I was crazy putting my garden right in the middle of the deer run from the woods to the field across the street. Until he wandered over one evening to check out my garden and he got soaked! It's even great for keeping unwanted neighbor kids out of your yard.

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #15  
That's funny and much easier than making a double fence../w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #16  
Coons.... Knock down the stalk, take one bite and go to the next. We tried to teach them how to tell when the ears were ready but they just didn't catch on.......... So, I put a post in the ground, Put a motion detector double flood light unit on the post with a flood in one side and plugged a radio in the other side (wrapped in a plastic bag) and other than the wind and rain setting it off we can tell when something is in the garden. Set the motion detector to test and it will come on and off only when it sees motion. Our critters seemed to like Country so we had to set it to Rock.

For the rabbits, we plant a few Habenaro pepper Plants each year and dry the peppers over the winter and put them in the blender in the spring to grind up. Then we use an old cheese shaker to spread around the edge of the garden. They stay out... I have also heard of people putting pepper on the ears and around the stalks. I prefer butter and salt on my corn.

I had an old fellow tell me once he went to goodwill store and got a bunch of old socks to cover each ear and then put a drop of perfume on each sock. I still get a chuckle thinking of him telling the story............... Tom

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #17  
Try an electric fencer 6" off the ground - works great until you hit it yourself.

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #18  
Hey, another thing we've had good luck with that I forgot to mention was planting hot peppers among the crops you want to save. Some of them are pretty aromatic where deer are concerned (my dogs don't like them either) and burns their nasal passages. I've seen deer begin to snort and shake their heads within five feet of those little chili peppers. The problem is you need to plant them first as they have to have peppers on them before the repellent starts to work.

Pete

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #19  
I put out two Have a Heart live traps and deported 5 coons from the garden. No evidence of coon damage to veggies. Did shoot one bold rabbit eating letuce a while back.

Non trapping neighbors have had coon problems. I wouldn't want to loose all the sleep to try to be there when the coons happen to stop by to check "their" produce. I might have taken sterner measures if my relocation program had failed.

Patrick

/ Coons got my sweet corn! #20  
Awise old lady told me to protect my sweet corn from coons I need to have a barber save me their sheared hair and then spread it around the bottom of the corn stalks. Swears it's worked for me for 30 yrs.