copper gutters

/ copper gutters #1  

s1120

Veteran Member
Tractor
87 Ingersoll 444, 84 Ingersoll224/'44 GreavlyL/60'sGreavlyL/49 Ford 8N
Well I have a front porch that REALY needs to have gutters on it. Just as a little flash to the house I was planning on going with copper. The porch is only like 15’ long, so the cost is not that much. Anyone ever work with them before? Any tips? My local home center has the stuff, but is there any special tools I will need? Do they need to be soderd? Thanks for any help.

/ copper gutters #2  
Did you get the problems with the house construction settled? Roofing, doorways, concrete, etc. ??

I would think soldering the copper would be necessary, but am not sure what design of gutter you have in mind. The best is the 'seamless' gutter, but that needs to be bent through a series of rolling 'molds' to transform a flat sheet into a gutter design. Hiring it done seems the way to go.

/ copper gutters
<font color="red"> Did you get the problems with the house construction settled? Roofing, doorways, concrete, etc. ??

</font>

Working on it. Thats one of the reason I need gutters. The main roof has two gables that dump down on the porch roof. The water coming off that one area dumps off right in fron't of the porch and splashes. Need to move that water off to the side a bit

/ copper gutters #4  
Paul, I've got a similar situation at our porch entrance. Copper would look nice but wouldn't match the rest so I'll use aluminum. I should think copper would need to be soldered but it won't be too difficult.

My issue is I don't want downspouts on either side of the porch. I haven't gotten approval from the committee (wife) yet but I'm thinking of using rain chains to bring the water down. They would terminate in some nice looking planters or something (very small section of roof so not much water). Copper chain would look very nice over time /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ copper gutters
I am kinda lucky. One side of the porch is right near where a planting bed will be. Perfict place for a down spout. I also woundered if the copper would "go" with the rest of the house. My thought was that with a yellow house, with green shutters, when the copper grens up in a few years it would look kinda cool. We had also thought of having the roof of that porch done in copper, but cost way to much at that time. Plus, now I am glad I did not have those jokers do it. Could only imange how they would have messed THAT up.

/ copper gutters #6  
We have 10" copper downspouts on our house and yes they are soldered. They collect the water from the troughs of the roof and dump it on the ground. We have no gutters as such. Had to put in 10" flexible plastic drain on the bottom to lead the water away from the house. In 55 years they have not turned green, just dulled to a burnt brown color.

/ copper gutters #7  
s1120,

I just installed 140 linear feet of 20.44 ounce half round copper gutter and 6 downspouts.

Check out Slate & Copper.com Hands down, bar none - the best there is. The soldering is easy as is everything else with their system. Let me know if you have any questions. I'll post some pictures tomorrow.
Sleepyhollow

/ copper gutters
WOW! Hey thanks for the web site. Pictures would be awsome.