COPS question

/ COPS question #1  

flusher

Tractor
Getting old. Sold the ranch. Sold the tractors. Moved back to the city.
When did Ford start using the coil-on-plug system (COPS) in the F-series truck ignitions? I've had two of these modules go bad on my 2001 F150 (5.4L Triton), one at 55000 miles the other around 65000 miles. Cost each time was about $225.

I'm looking to trade that 01 F150 for a used F350 DRW to handle a 20-ft GN tiltbed trailer (parade tractor hauling). I'd like to avoid the COPS headache, if possible.

/ COPS question #2  
I think it was in 1997 and the new ( for the time ) body style in the f150 . You'll have to get a diesel or go back to a 97 or older f350 to avoid the c.o.p. 351 or 460

/ COPS question #3  
i think it started in 1997 on the f150, on all my 4.6's the last driver side plug coil pack has always gone out at around 75 to 110k miles

the 97 f250 and f350 would not have the coil pack that didn't start till 99 (no 98 models)

if you go with a diesel you won't have to worry about it:D.
good luck

/ COPS question
i think it started in 1997 on the f150, on all my 4.6's the last driver side plug coil pack has always gone out at around 75 to 110k miles

the 97 f250 and f350 would not have the coil pack that didn't start till 99 (no 98 models)

if you go with a diesel you won't have to worry about it:D.
good luck

I'm headin' in that direction. Don't know what I'll end up with. But the looking is fun.

/ COPS question #5  
I have a 97 F150 with the 4L V6 and it has regular plug wires.

/ COPS question #6  
Why did it cost so much? I have had tons of F-150's, ok about 6 since 1997 and all 5.4L, and never had one fail but to be honest I traded them all before 45,000 miles. My Brother-N-Law had one go out on a truck he bought off my dad. It think it was at around 70,000 miles and I remember it was the last one near the exhaust. From what I have read its the first to go. I fixed it and think the part was under $50 at Auto Zone.

Chris

/ COPS question
Why did it cost so much? I have had tons of F-150's, ok about 6 since 1997 and all 5.4L, and never had one fail but to be honest I traded them all before 45,000 miles. My Brother-N-Law had one go out on a truck he bought off my dad. It think it was at around 70,000 miles and I remember it was the last one near the exhaust. From what I have read its the first to go. I fixed it and think the part was under $50 at Auto Zone.

Chris

Had the work done at dealers' shops. First time it happened, I had no clue what was wrong--didn't even know about COPS then. Second time I was out of town and didn't want to do the wrenching myself.

/ COPS question #8  
Had the work done at dealers' shops. First time it happened, I had no clue what was wrong--didn't even know about COPS then. Second time I was out of town and didn't want to do the wrenching myself.

If the truck is getting some miles and you depend on it you may just want to get a spare. Takes all of 15 minutes to change.

Chris

/ COPS question #9  
My V-10 has ten of them. I've changed 3 so far at a cost of $58 apiece. I changed out number nine a couple of years ago. I can't imagine a more awkward place to put a coil, or a plug for that matter. In the grand scheme of things though they are a pretty good idea and they hold up fairly well. They eliminate such problematic parts as the rotor and distributor cap, not to mention all those wires running to the plugs.

/ COPS question #10  
My FIL's full size Ford passenger van has had all the coils changed and a few more than once. I really know nothing about it so I'm learning here. I know it has got into his wallet pretty good since he has it worked on. Also this van and the one before, both Ford, have the what I call the dreaded idle problem where they idle reall high right after start and don't want to settle down for a while. It is a 4.6.