Cordless Grease Gun Storage

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #1  

KennK

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3320
Santa surprised me with a Dewalt 20V cordless grease gun. Much needed given age has brought with it a bit of arthritis in my hands, and I try to be good about frequent lubrication of my tractor's front end loader.

My manually operated grease guns are stored in a bucket to catch the inevitable grease/oil drippage. That leads me to wonder ...

How do I store a cordless grease gun so as not to destroy the electrical components? It came in a set with a nylon bag and a 1/2" impact wrench, but I fear the grease would make a mess of the inside of the bag. My best guess is to find an appropriately sized tub or bucket, and store it sitting on its feet - with the grease tube on the bottom and the electrical portion on the top.

Your advice and experience is very much welcome!!! By the way, I have an extra Lock-N-Lube tip ready to install on it!!

Oh, is the pulsing sound roughly equivalent to the number of squeezes of a manual grease gun? The manual doesn't say. My WoodMaxx snow blower manual warns not to over grease the bearings (only using 1-2 pumps of grease rather than pumping until fresh grease is visible.)

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #2  
Congrats! Nice gift.
I have managed to collect 4 of the DeWalt 20v guns with cases. I keep one in my service truck, and one in 3 of my 4 tractors.
The grease guns fit perfectly in the rugged plastic cases and the plastic cases are very protective.
And yes, the pulse, or click is pretty much equal to a pump.
Merry Christmas!
Sometimes you can find empty grease gun cases on Ebay for ~ $20

Last edited:
   / Cordless Grease Gun Storage #3  
I make sure to never leave the battery in it, I use vinyl gloves when I grease and when I'm done I wipe off the gloves and slide the grease nozzle into the finger hole then sit on a rag on the shelf.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #4  
I got my lube shuttle today for Christmas. No more messy grease for me.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #5  
My dewalt gun came in a plastic case. I’m generally not a fan of tool cases but I keep my grease gun in the box to help contain the mess.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #6  
I also have the hard case, and wrap the fitting in a shop rag for storage. I wouldn't keep it with other power tools in a bag.
The DeWalt electric grease gun and LockNLube is a great combination.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #7  
Please don't store it near a heat source.

I was gifted a used powered gun and all the clay based grease was so hard that I had to pry it out but the efforts were well worth it.

I only use non clay based now having lived that experience.

I did however learn a trick as when cleaning that gifted gun the phone rang.

My hands were 'overly greasy' and needed cleaning FAST!
Not having a solvent cleaner handy I quickly squirted my hand with a quick squirt of WD40 and to my great surprise one quick wipe with a shop rag had them spotless.
Following that a normal soap and water wash had them spotless.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #8  
I'm another fan of the DeWalt 20V grease gun. I don't bother storing it in the plastic case since the leakage makes such a mess. I stored the gun on it's feet in a shallow plastic tray for a while but it required cleaning the tray frequently. Lately, I've been standing it on end with the grease tube up. I was concerned about the motor at first but there is no leakage at all as long as the grease tube is seated properly.

P1090429a.jpg

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #9  
1 ca-chug = 1 pump as far as I can tell. Piston volume on the electric may be smaller. It's easy to compensate for that with the speed they run though.

I store mine on a bench & wipe up under it with rags I'm about to toss. The relief valve is really messy & impossible to fully clean if it pops. Haven't used the manual ones in a few years. They are hanging in a nasty 5 gallon bucket as they always have been.

The Dewalt & Lock 'n Lube is way easier than a manual, but not really much cleaner. I still clean zerks with a rag to avoid pumping grit into the zero. Ooze out of the nozel, joints you are greasing, etc. Always use gloves. I use the cheap fabric ones that have been dipped in rubber on one side. They breath way better than latex disposable ones.

/ Cordless Grease Gun Storage #10  
I have the Milwaukee 18v version and all I do is pull the battery, Wipe off the hose and stick it in it's holder and throw it on the shelf. Never oozes grease like my manual guns do.