Cordless Snow blower recommendation?

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #31  
Around here, we call those shovels. Like you, I use the gas powered and tractor mounted ones and do a good job.

I don't think the person that started this discussion has returned to chime in or respond. However, since he/she asked for a recommendation, I just want to add that I'd recommend NOT getting a "cordless snowblower".

A cordless snowblower kinda sounds like a solar-powered flashlight. Not very practical.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #32  
I have a 40V SnowJoe. I have used it for snow less than 4" on the sidewalk and around the vehicles parked on the cement pad in front of the garage. One battery does the job but I have two. BTW last year we did not get much snow after buying the SnowJoe so cannot comment on if it will handle more than 4".

The 74" pull blower handles the drive, and open areas.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #33  
I recently purchased an EGO 24 inch two stage self propelled battery operated snow blower to clear the areas that my WoodMaxx 60 inch PTO snow blower can't reach, and I have to say that I'm very impressed with its performance.

I haven't yet taken the time to quantify the battery life (actually two batteries), but so far we haven't yet run the batteries down before finishing. At the lowest auger speed it threw this morning's four inches of cold snow it was throwing about 15 feet, and chews through most anything without struggling. I'm sure it won't run as long as a gas snow blower, but it easily meets our needs.

I just am getting tired of dealing with maintenance of all the small engines, so I am moving to cordless electric where I can. This past week I purchased a reconditioned bare (no battery) EGO cordless backpack blower. Very nice too, because I'm tired of my corded blower. Last spring I bought a new gas Stihl trimmer, and wish I'd gone the EGO route instead.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #34  
When we lived in the Nort', we had 3 or 4 devices for snow removal. An Ariens snowblower, gas. This handled anything 2 inches or deeper. Didn't do as well on light snow. A corded leaf blower (Toro, IIRC). Works really well on light, powdery snow under 2". I suppose a modern cordless version could handle those jobs. A snow shovel, also cordless. These handle various types of snow, but vary based on size, strength and health of the operator. Push broom, also cordless. These are good for light snow in the 1 inch or less category. Honorable mention would be a heavy ice chipper, also cordless, for handling packed snow and ice. The Sun was also used in certain situations...also cordless, but availability is hard to control.

More serious advice...I use a lot of battery operated tools nowadays. I would not get an electric snow blower unless it was just part of a suite of tools I used for just the right type and depth of snow. No electric thrower is going to handle the heavy, deep and/or wet snow. Save your money.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #35  
I've had an EGO battery powered snow blower for a few years now. It's good for 6" or so of snow...maybe a bit more if the snow is powdery.
Mine is not self propelled. I use it to clear 40-50 feet of sidewalk and it does quite well.
It uses 2 (7.5 A/h) batteries but I just normally use one. Depending on how frequent the snow is, and how wet, I've only needed to recharge the batteries a few time over the winter.
It's powerful enough but too small to do a drive (unless you just have a parking pad.
There is a new one coming out that self-propelled...that's something I'll be looking into when they're available

Most my lawncare tools (string trimmer, chain saw, pole saw, leaf blower) are EGO products and for residential use, good products. As someone already posted, all EGO batteries fit any of their tools. The 7.5 A/h batteries are too heavy for hand held tools, but the 5.0 A/h batteries balance well

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #36  
Energy Density:
Lead Acid Battery - 50 W-Hrs/kg​
Lithium Ion - 150 W-Hrs/kg​
Petroleum - 12,722 W-Hrs/kg​
This is 2008 data. Lithium metal batteries now under development promise 300 w-hrs/kg or more.
There's a gotchya on battery technology-the colder it gets the less capacity they have. Lithium batteries are really affected by low temps. You wouldn't want one for starting your car if you live in a cold climate.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #37  
On a similar note, any personal experiences with corded ones? I saw someone locally doing his driveway with one and it seemed to be doing a good job on a small driveway. I am well aware gas is better, but for my deck, this MAY be a reasonable quick solution of moving the snow.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #38  
There's a gotchya on battery technology-the colder it gets the less capacity they have. Lithium batteries are really affected by low temps. You wouldn't want one for starting your car if you live in a cold climate.
Not sure I agree with that...
I leave the lithium battery (or batteries...has receptacles for 2, but I normally just put one in) in my EGO snow blower which stays in an unheated attached garage. So far (after 3 winters in Vermont), no problems using it in the winter.
Lithium batteries will discharge when not in use...down to around 30% if memory serves. This is supposed to extend the life of the battery (again, if memory serves)

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #39  

Not sure I agree with that...
Have to agree with that. My weather station calls for lithium batteries. Lithium will last all winter. If I use anything else they might last a month when it's cold. I generally put in lithium about november and use cheap batteries from the time those go dead until the next november.

/ Cordless Snow blower recommendation? #40  
Have to agree with that. My weather station calls for lithium batteries. Lithium will last all winter. If I use anything else they might last a month when it's cold. I generally put in lithium about november and use cheap batteries from the time those go dead until the next november.
I guess you are ready to replace the battery in your car with a Lithium one.

Go for it! Post your results after next winter!