Cordless Tools vs. Other Options

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #61  
Hang on for the new Powerstack.
Yeah, but the pouch batteries are more likely to go up in smoke if you drop them. Not to mention the lower current. But charge cycles are suppose to double. I'll wait and see. There's no reviews yet, just marketing spew. 😏

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #62  
I like the 20v Dewalt on drivers and drills, and several tools. The 20v lasts long, maintains power, then drops out when discharged. The 18v is big bulky, heavy, and does not charge as well. They also don't last as long. I was buying them 5 at a time to keep up with my tools. Finally gave them all away for 20v. I can't think of many hand tool which weigh more to haul around than a good 100' extension cord.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #63  
I gave up on battery powered tools and went back to cords. I don't use any one tool enough to keep the batteries alive when I need them.
Why would you not just leave the battery on the charger when not in use? All the talk of dead batteries has me really confused.

• Good Post
Reactions: LD1
   / Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #64  
Why would you not just leave the battery on the charger when not in use? All the talk of dead batteries has me really confused.
Some chargers are good with that, some are not. And I don't know which ones (other than DeWalt) do it right.
From the Dewalt web site:
3. DOES IT HURT DEWALT BATTERIES TO LEAVE THEM IN THE CHARGER?
No. The DEWALT chargers have a maintenance mode which allows batteries to remain in the charger, maintaining a fully charged pack until the user is ready to work. If DEWALT NiCd batteries are stored outside of the charger, they will discharge naturally, 15-20% the first 24 hours, 7-10% the next day, and about 1% every day there after. NiCd batteries lose the bulk of the capacity when outside of the charger in the first 3 days. In fact, it is better for the battery to leave it in the charger to be sure it goes through Equalization and Maintenance Modes. One of the benefits of DEWALT XRP™ Lithium Ion batteries is that they have limited self discharge. Storing DEWALT Lithium Ion batteries outside of the charger will not result in loss of charge. Learn more about brushless tools technology.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #65  
Some chargers are good with that, some are not. And I don't know which ones (other than DeWalt) do it right.
Sounds like lawyer-speak ;) I've had lots of different chargers for lots of different tools and batteries and I've never seen or even heard of an actual real world problem. As big as the world is I'm sure somebody has seen one though.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #66  
My local Kubota dealership had a major fire caused by a defective cordless tool battery charger. It was a few years ago and I don't know the brand or whether it was a NiCad or Lithium battery charger. Since then, I use a timer with all my chargers. Every so often I set the timer for a few minutes to top off the batteries even if they haven't been used.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #67  
Not sure if my coments here will add much to the discussion, but like most others, I have given up using Ni-Cad powered gear. However, the frustration is that the tools themselves, though old, are invariably excellent, so I'm attempting to convert them to either Li-ion or if they are 12V adapting them to run with leads off the vehicle battery.

The former is frequently a PITA because rarely do the batteries fit inside without modifying the existing cases. Also because the charging profiles are different, they require either a new motherboard or some form of external charging device and it is critical to use the correct type of charger.

An example is a pair of Einhell cordless drivers - superb quality. I have hard- wired one to work from the car battery, but the other now has 3 X 18650 batteries. A new motherboard is unobtainable and building one is beyond my simple bush brain so the batteries have to be hard wired to the contact plates. To recharge, the battery pack must be removed and connected to a charger. Now comes the tricky bit - which charger?

I've ordered a DC-to-Dc "hobby charger" on Crapbay and if you believe the blurb, the charging profile can be adjusted. It seems the intial charge voltage must be set just slightly above the actual battery voltage for the first phase, then changed to constant current to bring the batteries up to 12.4 volts (or whatever) so they will be fully charged.

If that works, I'll convert a couple of 18V Ni-Cad tools over to Li-Ion.

Please feel free to tell me I'm wrong about any of this, preferably before I burn down the shed

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #68  
Interestingly, I've been going retro. I've actually been buying some decent air-powered tools at auction. Nothing can match the compact torque of an air wrench when doing things like big bolts such as for mower spindles, etc. The harbor freight ~25 gallon compressors hold plenty of air for my needs, and the little 1/4" coiled air leads don't significantly impact my ability to get in tight spaces. The air wrench is actually small enough to fit in there much better than a battery drill in most cases. That doesn't mean I still don't use my Milwaukee impact driver for screws and small bolts, but for the big stuff, air works a lot better and faster and is always there. I'm plumbing in Pex air distribution for various places in the garage/barn/shop where I might need to just plug in a tool and do stuff.

Don't rule out air.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #69  
So I have a Dewalt 18V drill and like the flexibility. I don't like however that most of the time I use it both batteries are dead and need a re-charge. I do not do this work for a living and many times find myself just reaching for the corded and grabbing an extension cord. I am wondering if the newer stuff is any different in terms of holding charge or if you are still just always charging stuff all the time like a second job.

I hate the idea of being tied into battery make and therefore tool brand. Has anyone gone a different route and just bought a Jackery (or other) battery generator and still just used your tools? It seems like the batteries on those last a long time from experience. It could also be a dumb
idea. You can get one for the price of a few smaller batteries let alone the 60/80v stuff. Any you can take it camping on the weekend so it isnt' just for tools or use it to keep things going if the power goes out. Seems like it would be more versatile.

Most of the time I work, I'm near a plug so all of this is irrelevant.
Good morning. I've had a 3 piece 18v porter cable set for about 10yrs. It came with the ni-cd type batteries. My charger will due both so l started using lithium from B
So I have a Dewalt 18V drill and like the flexibility. I don't like however that most of the time I use it both batteries are dead and need a re-charge. I do not do this work for a living and many times find myself just reaching for the corded and grabbing an extension cord. I am wondering if the newer stuff is any different in terms of holding charge or if you are still just always charging stuff all the time like a second job.

I hate the idea of being tied into battery make and therefore tool brand. Has anyone gone a different route and just bought a Jackery (or other) battery generator and still just used your tools? It seems like the batteries on those last a long time from experience. It could also be a dumb
idea. You can get one for the price of a few smaller batteries let alone the 60/80v stuff. Any you can take it camping on the weekend so it isnt' just for tools or use it to keep things going if the power goes out. Seems like it would be more versatile.

Most of the time I work, I'm near a plug so all of this is irrelevant.
Morning. I use Biswaye lithium now for my 18v Porter Cable. Bought it 10yrs back, came with the ni-cd type but since the charger will work with both types l gave them a try. I was surprised with them. $40 each on Amazon. Big box is $60 plus. I just looked at my last Amazon purchase. It was March 2021 and it's still in the box, never charged it yet as my first two l bought are still doing good. I dated them when they were bought. April 2019 & June 2019. Liked the first one then so bought a backup. All l can say is try one. They run along time before needing a recharge. Mine are 4amp. Happy with my choice...

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #70  
If I need to drill 1-1/2 holes, I always grab my battery powered drill. Never enough for 2 holes it seems.