Cordless Tools vs. Other Options

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #101  
I have several LED flashlights. Use the Makita every night. Brownie and I go outside just before going to bed.

I got a Fenix LR50R a couple months ago. UBER hi intensity light. One interesting feature - I can completely recharge my cell phone off this flashlights batteries.

975 feet across my lake - turns the far shoreline to bright daylight. Got to watch it though - the finned head will get really HOT.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #102  
Lots of great answers,

1. not stated but I'm guessing you have Nicad batteries. They are notorious for not holding a charge and not having a long life (wife bought an expensive milwaukee set likely same age as yours and was disgusted because the batteries were always dead).
Lithium batteries hold there charge for many months and lifespan is much longer than nicads (have some that are more than 10 yrs old that are still good). Rule of thumb is to recharge Liion batteries at least once a year if left on shelf. If you don't have liion batteries now you will be amazed how much better they are.

2. Adapters. yes get an adapter so you can still use the old tools. In 18/20v tools have now standardized on Makita system (and got the x2 batt circular saw), but still have some tools (either old or specialty) from others (example: Milwaukee M18 grease gun), Porter cable (18 and 20), B*D, Ryobi. Also some tools that I may not use heavily are much cheaper Ryobi than makita (sheet metal shears, led light, multitool). Have adapter for each so I can use the makita batteries across everything, its wonderful.

3. I only just learned about the power stations and think this is a good option versus jackery (more versatile if you have the batteries?). I plan to get one to use instead of the generator for some corded tools (demo hammer, miter saw and job light). They say you can run a fridge for several hours on one. The dewalt seems reasonably priced and is also a 4 station charger.

4. Black friday is coming up. best time to buy a kit, usually cheaper than the batteries alone cost. On a similar topic, I have no problem buying after market batteries. I have an m12 ratchet with aftermarket batt and can't tell the difference.

5. I am all in on battery powered tools, but 20v is just not enough for some tools. One reason I got makita is because they made a x2 battery brushless circ saw that uses regular 7.25 blades. its great. 40 and 80 volt are common now for garden tools, I just got the Ryobi 40v weed whacker, chain saw and plan to get the pole pruner (yes I will still need the husqvarna for bigger jobs).

There really aren't many tools that aren't available in a battery tool these days. Not having to take apart and mess with carburetors from tools that have been sitting is a huge plus!

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #103  
I still have an old 1960's B&D 12 volt drill that I wired up to run off a car battery when working in remote locations and most sure the same could be done with low voltage dc saws etc. When we bought our place in Fla. and couldn't get power for 2 months, I bought a 110 converter that ran off the car battery a lot cheaper than a generator. Even though I now have generators for back up power, I still keep an inverter handy to plug in the lighter for small jobs and could be used to plug in chargers.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #104  
So I have a Dewalt 18V drill and like the flexibility. I don't like however that most of the time I use it both batteries are dead and need a re-charge. I do not do this work for a living and many times find myself just reaching for the corded and grabbing an extension cord. I am wondering if the newer stuff is any different in terms of holding charge or if you are still just always charging stuff all the time like a second job.

I hate the idea of being tied into battery make and therefore tool brand. Has anyone gone a different route and just bought a Jackery (or other) battery generator and still just used your tools? It seems like the batteries on those last a long time from experience. It could also be a dumb
idea. You can get one for the price of a few smaller batteries let alone the 60/80v stuff. Any you can take it camping on the weekend so it isnt' just for tools or use it to keep things going if the power goes out. Seems like it would be more versatile.

Most of the time I work, I'm near a plug so all of this is irrelevant.
I agree, I have a nice 20v drill, and I was always dealing with drained batteries. I bought a couple of 18v tools for my wife and I for yard work and have found so many accessories I am now using it for things like reciprocating saws (tree trimming) fans, angle grinders, impact 1/4 and 3/8, drill, lights (use them a lot) shop blower (use it a lot too) the list keeps growing. Now I have multiple sets of 18v batteries from 4Ah to 9Ah and because I'm always using something there are always charged batteries :)

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #105  
I keep reading posts about using a generator and plugging in corded tools "because they are more powerful." That last quoted statement is dead wrong if you are using professional grade tools driven by l-ion batteries. I gave my almost-new corded Rigid skill saw away since it couldn't compare to my almost-new Dewalt 20 volt. It just seemed like I never had a generator around when I wanted to use the Rigid, but somehow the Dewalt was always ready at hand for my barn carpentry. Maybe because I could just toss the latter on the floor of my vehicle without having to do a lot of planning to take the generator out. BTW I have no electricity on my tree farms.

(And who ever heard of a corded impact driver, anyway?)

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #106  
I keep reading posts about using a generator and plugging in corded tools "because they are more powerful." That last quoted statement is dead wrong if you are using professional grade tools driven by l-ion batteries. I gave my almost-new corded Rigid skill saw away since it couldn't compare to my almost-new Dewalt 20 volt. It just seemed like I never had a generator around when I wanted to use the Rigid, but somehow the Dewalt was always ready at hand for my barn carpentry. Maybe because I could just toss the latter on the floor of my vehicle without having to do a lot of planning to take the generator out. BTW I have no electricity on my tree farms.

(And who ever heard of a corded impact driver, anyway?)

I have almost the whole lineup of 20 volt dewalt tools. I use them because they’re convenient but you’re not going to exceed the power of corded tools at least without going to a bigger tool like a 60 volt circular saw. Most of the cordless tool power is acceptable but a continuous draw you aren’t going to beat corded. I have both of the 20 volt circular saws. The brushless 7-1/4 blade one is considerably better than the other one. It works good for what it is but it’s not going to beat a corded saw for ripping a 2x10 length wise. I have a cordless grinder and it works good for cutting rebar and offers enough runtime to sharpen lawnmower blades but for continuous grinding you aren’t going to beat a cord either. For less demanding tools like drills, sawzalls and impacts I haven’t used a corded version in years.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options
I didn't realize that I do have NiCad 18V batteries for the drill I have. They are horrible and in my head, I thought "I just bought this drill" when in reality, it was like 10+ years ago. It has served me to this point I guess. I made the jump this weekend and purchased a mid-grade Dewalt Blower (leaf). It came with a 5AH battery and charger for $200. I guess I'll use that as my jumping-off point. I'm already eyeing drill/driver, impact, reciprocating saw, and that USB charger. I may try to keep my 18V drill, but the newer stuff seems so much smaller who knows. TSC has some buy a drill/driver with battery and charge and you get a free tool (139 or less) until mid-december or something. I'm not going to crazy on buying batteries until I see what comes of the power-stack ones that were mentioned.

We have a huge stinkbug problem which is why I went blower first. I found out last year that if I just spray my wife's large fern plants with Home Defense it kills the stinkbugs and does nothing to the plant. They all collect in the ferns overnight and the next morning I have hundreds of dead stinkbugs under each fern and all across my porches. With all obstacles, the blower worked great to clear it all off so you can at least walk out the door without the crunch. One charge got all of the porches and area out front of the garage bays blown off and the battery charge from new to full in less than an hour which isn't bad.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #108  
Harking back to the title of the thread--"Other Options" includes (gasp!) hand tools. These are not mentioned in 11 pages on cords, generators, and different types of batteries. In many instances the total time and bother to use an appropriate hand tool is less than that expended to use a power tool.

To wit: A 2" lilac or dogwood branch breaks under snow load or high winds. I can reach into an unlocked shed, grab a folding pruning saw, cut the limb, and replace the saw in the shed in a few minutes. Or I can unlock a locked shed, fuel a chainsaw, cut the branch, and re-store the chain saw. Or I can go to the basement, move a few cases containing jig saw, grinder, sander, etc. to get at the case containing the sawzall, fit a pruning blade, cut the branch, and re-store the blade and saw. (Time carrying the branch to a brush pile the same for all 3 methods.)

Similar arguments may be made regarding combination wrenches and hand ratchets vs corded, battery, or air-powered impact drivers or wrenches; or almost any hand tool.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #109  
I didn't realize that I do have NiCad 18V batteries for the drill I have. They are horrible and in my head, I thought "I just bought this drill" when in reality, it was like 10+ years ago. It has served me to this point I guess. I made the jump this weekend and purchased a mid-grade Dewalt Blower (leaf). It came with a 5AH battery and charger for $200. I guess I'll use that as my jumping-off point. I'm already eyeing drill/driver, impact, reciprocating saw, and that USB charger. I may try to keep my 18V drill, but the newer stuff seems so much smaller who knows. TSC has some buy a drill/driver with battery and charge and you get a free tool (139 or less) until mid-december or something. I'm not going to crazy on buying batteries until I see what comes of the power-stack ones that were mentioned.

We have a huge stinkbug problem which is why I went blower first. I found out last year that if I just spray my wife's large fern plants with Home Defense it kills the stinkbugs and does nothing to the plant. They all collect in the ferns overnight and the next morning I have hundreds of dead stinkbugs under each fern and all across my porches. With all obstacles, the blower worked great to clear it all off so you can at least walk out the door without the crunch. One charge got all of the porches and area out front of the garage bays blown off and the battery charge from new to full in less than an hour which isn't bad.
I have been running the 18v NiCad Dewalt drills etc since around 97 or so, but now have a few of the 20v Lithium ion, so in the near future I am sure I will be adding a converter for the 18v to 20v and just keep using my 18v drills, saws, and impact driver.

/ Cordless Tools vs. Other Options #110  
Harking back to the title of the thread--"Other Options" includes (gasp!) hand tools. These are not mentioned in 11 pages on cords, generators, and different types of batteries. In many instances the total time and bother to use an appropriate hand tool is less than that expended to use a power tool.

To wit: A 2" lilac or dogwood branch breaks under snow load or high winds. I can reach into an unlocked shed, grab a folding pruning saw, cut the limb, and replace the saw in the shed in a few minutes. Or I can unlock a locked shed, fuel a chainsaw, cut the branch, and re-store the chain saw. Or I can go to the basement, move a few cases containing jig saw, grinder, sander, etc. to get at the case containing the sawzall, fit a pruning blade, cut the branch, and re-store the blade and saw. (Time carrying the branch to a brush pile the same for all 3 methods.)

Similar arguments may be made regarding combination wrenches and hand ratchets vs corded, battery, or air-powered impact drivers or wrenches; or almost any hand tool.
Well, given the OP was looking for potential alternatives for corded (and older NiCad cordless) power tools it'd seem pretty reasonable to assume that most of the tasks being performed would go beyond where hand tools would be suitable/desirable.

Personally (continuing on with the tree example) in my case the hand pruning saws I have are in a locked storage shed (with the generator, power washer, etc), but the cordless tools are in the house & not that far from the door for the most used items (e.g. blower) as are all the batteries. So in the case of trimming a tree limb it'd actually take me longer to get out the needed hand tools than it would to grab the cordless reciprocating saw (the pruning, wood and all other blades are store in the same bag as the one I primarily use) along with slapping in the appropriate battery as I head out the door.

Of course it may just be me and my property/location, but it hardly ever seems to just be one limb that needs to be trimmed instead it's usually enough that I'm making a decision between a cordless reciprocating saw or a cordless* chainsaw - and whether I'll be use the bucket or grapple on the tractor for clean up.

(*getting out a gas chainsaw or gas polesaw is usually reserved for felling/bucking/trimming trees & limbs over a foot in diameter - or projects that will take a few hours to most of the day)

So in my case 80 to 90% of the time what I need to do seems to fall between hand tools and gas/diesel tools (or heavy machinery) and as a result I store my tools accordingly. Which means the cordless tools usually end up being the most accessible, and that also means I've had a few cases where a hand tool would probably have been the more appropriate tool to use, but since it was going to take longer to find and dig it out a power tool was used instead.

Though there are some applications where hand tools are the preferred option (not sure I'll be switching to any sort of powered torque wrench in the near future) -- and the small pruning shears kept in the tractor tool box for those nuisance branches under 1/2 inch in diameter isn't likely to be replaced any time soon either. Likewise when removing small roots/stumps I'd rather use a mattock than rent an excavator or running a reciprocating saw blade through the dirt (though that apparently works fairly well).

Of course in some cases good quality and/or high-end hand tools may even make cordless tools seem low priced by comparison (e.g. crosscut & rip saws, hand planes) even before the cost/effort to maintain the blade & teeth are considered.

....but then everyone's needs, uses & desires will vary.