Correct engine idle speed during warm up??

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #31  
Good discussion and information as it got me thinking that most of my tractor use is in logging winch where 80% of the time tractor is still & idling while I'm constantly hitching, unhitching and sawing. Use to be that if I saw temp gauge coming up to a 1/3, I thought "ok", but maybe I should run things a bit warmer to avoid condensation?

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #32  
I've read my mahindra 2816 hst and in the book it says when engine is cold and cold weather starting, start tractor at 1500 rpm. When tractor is hot, run engine at 1500 rpm. I don't think anywhere in the manual it says to run it below 1500rpm except after the tractor has been bouncing on a tractor or towed, it recommends 1000 I believe until you know the hydrostat won't jump. And maybe to engage a pto accessory. 1500rpm seems to be the magic number even when cold. I think the engine will idle at 900 if throttle is backed right off....I rarely take the tractor out of 1500rpm range when starting or moving around. I don't know if this is correct or not..but book says when engine is cold or cold weather starting, ramp up immediately to 1500 rpm. Probably to get oil circulating.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #33  
Deere 4400 owner here...

Since I keep the tractor in an attached garage, it's not normally extremely cold...however, I do use the block heater on occasion (in the garage) and always use it if I do leave it outside in the winter months...

Once I cycle the intake heater, I start with the throttle at minimum until the oil light goes out (2-3 seconds) then increase the RPM to about 1500 and move the machine out of the garage. Then, there's 5 minutes or so of 1500 RPM idle before I start working...but no hard work until the temp gage is at the normal temperature (about 1/4 up the range is where it stays)
That sounds about right. Your Grandchildren will be glad about how you took good care of their tractor.
Sometime this winter we should swap lies and stories over breakfast down at Eaton's sugar house.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #34  
That sounds about right. Your Grandchildren will be glad about how you took good care of their tractor.
Sometime this winter we should swap lies and stories over breakfast down at Eaton's sugar house.

I'd like to do that sometime. I'm about 5-6 miles from the Sugar House...great chow!
Are you retired, or would we have to wait until the weekend?

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #35  
Hey Ray,

I start mine at low throttle, then increase to about 1200 rpm and let it warm sometimes up to 20 minutes depending on how cold it is. QUESTION: does this also aid heating the hydraulic fluid and hydraulic pump? What is the best way to heat up the hydraulics before working it hard (bucket or blower)? Thanks

Probably the way you are doing it, is the best way.

Myself, I added a silicone pad heater to the bottom of my transmission. It keeps the oil from getting cold, and reduces my concern about the warm up time. Overkill? Sure. And, I'm okay with that.

Kat's 150 Watt Silicone Pad Heater Model# 24150 | Engine Heaters Blankets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Attachments

• 0921121157a.jpg
    0921121157a.jpg
    888.4 KB · Views: 149
   / Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #36  
Great information, thank you.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #37  
Most of this conversation is concentrating on what is best for the engine. But we are talking about the tractor, not just the engine. Anything with hydraulics and power steering will have the same pumps and issues.

Hydro or shuttle, my little tractor has about 8-9 gallons of cold, thick non-synthetic hydro fluid that needs to be moved and warmed before really cranking up the throttle much. Doesn't matter if the engine is warm, the hydro still needs to be warmed up too.

My lowest throttle setting is around 1100 rpm. It has no problem getting the engine up to operating temps at near the lowest setting. The temp gage says it's getting plenty warm. My truck on the other hand idles at just 680. It can not get up to operating temp at low idle. But high idle is only about 1100. No where near half throttle.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #38  
Most of this conversation is concentrating on what is best for the engine. But we are talking about the tractor, not just the engine. Anything with hydraulics and power steering will have the same pumps and issues. Hydro or shuttle, my little tractor has about 8-9 gallons of cold, thick non-synthetic hydro fluid that needs to be moved and warmed before really cranking up the throttle much. Doesn't matter if the engine is warm, the hydro still needs to be warmed up too. My lowest throttle setting is around 1100 rpm. It has no problem getting the engine up to operating temps at near the lowest setting. The temp gage says it's getting plenty warm. My truck on the other hand idles at just 680. It can not get up to operating temp at low idle. But high idle is only about 1100. No where near half throttle.

The transmission is one of my concerns also, the engine warms up fairly quickly but the transmission takes quite a bit longer.

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #39  
I start mine at idle. When the glow plug light goes off I increase the rpms to about 1000. After about a minute I start working the three point then the loader.

Finally got a magnetic block heater. Shopped online and the one for my CK20S ranged in price from $35 to $45 except for Advance Auto Parts and it was $30 there. Was told to put the heater on the trans first and leave it for an hour or more, then put it on the oil pan.

Time will tell.

RSKY

/ Correct engine idle speed during warm up?? #40  
Started it today when it was the 20F's, kept it idling above 1200 all day, just to keep it warm after reading discussions here. That seemed to keep the temp gauge higher.
I was surprised when I first started, I was on pavement and thought maybe a brake was sticking when I pressed in the clutch, because it slowed so quickly.
Later, I thought that maybe it was just cold transmission oil ?
Could it be that thick to brake a tractor?