Correct hydraulic oil for Yanmar FX32?

/ Correct hydraulic oil for Yanmar FX32? #31  
@California So agricultural hydraulic fluid, NOT recommended for use in farm equipment, which leaves what? Spraying on fence posts?

All the best,

Peter
Not that stuff.

Anything like California pointed out being of the JD303 'compatible with' or calling itself 303 has been under Class Action Lawsuits for just under a decade.

It's gotten so bad, that manufactures no longer have implied warranty on these products just to stay out of these lawsuits.

The NAPA 303 was one of the worse. It ruined machines.

I would TRUST YanmarFever's ATF synthetic any day over a brand name jug of 303 something if I had those as the only two choices.

/ Correct hydraulic oil for Yanmar FX32? #32  
@California So agricultural hydraulic fluid, NOT recommended for use in farm equipment, which leaves what? Spraying on fence posts?
Take a look at Smitty's Technical Specifications pdf. Here it is:

Its for junk equipment that leaks a lot and will soon be retired. Some quotes from that pdf:

Not recommended for use in mobile farm
or construction equipment.

CAUTION: Some specifications are no longer
deemed active by the original equipment
manufacturer. Significant harm to the transmission,
hydraulic system, seals, final drive or axles is
possible when using this product in applications
which is not intended. Be sure to read all claims on
back label before using this product

'Yellow pail' tractor fluid has been around from back in the day, maybe following, the JD303 era. The pail used to be labeled something like 'for JD303 applications'. I see that claim is gone now.

Maybe use it for your log splitter.

This post revised, see my next post.

Last edited:
   / Correct hydraulic oil for Yanmar FX32? #33  
Maybe frequent UTF drain intervals are a waste of petroleum product. Autozone's UTF labelled Coastal Multi-Trac (from Warren Oil a blender/packager) looked fine when I drained my backhoe after it had been in there 10 years. No water, minimal debris in the first moment of the drain. I set aside a slender little jar to see if microscopic debris would settle out. None has, in the year that jar has sat on my shop windowsill. The color hasn't changed, its slightly tinted but I can see through the jar. I found the original pail, it says 'Meets John Deere J20C specification'. I see now Warren says 'May be used in systems made by' (Deere etc).

The real eco-friendly thing to do would have been to save the 5 gallons I drained, let it settle, then re-use it later in the backhoe. I wouldn't chance using it in either tractor.

I used TSC's Traveller J20C for the refill.

Today I went out and took a photo of the 10-year-used UTF. Seems to me this fluid would be suitable for re-use, after sitting a while for sediment to settle out.

For the photo I set the jar on some text The text behind the jar is visible through the fluid.

20220521_153809.jpg

Last edited:
   / Correct hydraulic oil for Yanmar FX32? #34  
Fluids do do other things besides look good, right? ;)

I would wonder about the pressure additives that have broken down, and the viscosity that may have shifted to be to thick or too thin to do its job well.

Personally, I file changing fluids on the intervals under the cheap insurance category, recycle it, and move on to worrying about other things like keeping the ground squirrels at bay...

All the best,

Peter