Cost for cylinder rebuild

/ Cost for cylinder rebuild #1  

MarkV

Tractor
1998 Kubota B21, 2005 Kubota L39
Hi all, hoping you hydraulic guys can help me with a guess on what to expect to pay for a cylinder rebuild. The cylinder is 3 1/2 x 24" on a log splitter. It is what I think is called a "tie rod" cylinder, the type with long bolts on the exterior holding the front cap on. The cylinder is leaking badly from the front. I can not see any other damage or bending on the rod itself.

Thanks,
MarkV

/ Cost for cylinder rebuild #2  
I am not an expert or anything, in fact a newbie to hydraulics. I gained a free wood splitter from my father who took the cylinder apart and never got it fixed due to leaking seals. Having never seen inside packing before, how it was taken apart, I took the whole thing in pieces to nearby hydraulic shop and told them I needed seals for it and will do the work myself.
They hooked me up with new seals and I think it was less then 40 bucks I think for seals and it went together easier then I thought and works great since.

With my story told, If I were you, If you don't have the parts manual for your splitter to order the seals kit - I'd just take the ram off the splitter, take it apart and drain/clean it. leave seals on there and bring it to your local shop and let them measure the seals you need and go from there. Its easier then you think.

/ Cost for cylinder rebuild #3  
I rebuilt my first hyd. cylinder a couple of days ago. It is a lift cylinder off a skid steer. Bought the seal kit from Bobcat dealer for approx. $17. Not very complicated to do you just need a good place to hold cylinder while you take it apart, a few large tools to get the locking nut off the rod end and do your best keeping everything clean. Helps to have some dental type tools to remove the old seals that are in the cap end. It took me a total of 1.5 hours to remove and rebuild.

/ Cost for cylinder rebuild #4  
Having never seen inside packing before, how it was taken apart, I took the whole thing in pieces to nearby hydraulic shop and told them I needed seals for it and will do the work myself.
They hooked me up with new seals and I think it was less then 40 bucks I think for seals and it went together easier then I thought and works great since.

x 2........tie-rod cylinders are the easiest to take apart and reseal......make sure YOU take apart right down to the nut on the end of the rod......

these are routine parts for hyd shops, but they take different seals so you must disassemble for a DIY repair......easy-peasy....:thumbsup:

/ Cost for cylinder rebuild #5  
I am in the middle of rebuilding an 3pt. ARPS 730 Backhoe from the 70's,,,,,I took it to a shop near by due to the special tools needed like the pin type spanner wrench, 3 rods needed replaced so they are being cut at the ends and a new shaft is being welded back in--cost wise it is less expensive this way than to have rods resurfaced and chromed due to some gouges full length and smaller pits from rust (many of them-like freckles), at least I had all new hoses made at local NAPA and delivered to the Hyd. shop, does this count as doing it, ummm probably not. the seal kits are very in expensive SOME TIMES ! , mine turned out to be about $15.00 for each cyl. .. the backhoe is so old that it tops out at 2500psi,,,the higher pressure ones of today 3000psi can run 40-50 bucks per cyl. but from a log splitter,ummm i would not worried much about sticker shock as long as you can do it or figure on 60 or more an hour labor.
they are directional, not like an O-ring were they are all round but more square O-ring with the outer edge like a lean to roof angle to it and then several next to each other,,,some are like the rings an a piston.
Considering i picked up the backhoe for $1500, by putting another $1000 to $1500 into it I can justify it. by the way for all the hoses it cost me $450.00:drink:

Attachments

• IMAG1008.jpg
    IMAG1008.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 655