Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power?

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #1  

BadDecisions

Silver Member
Tractor
Ford 8N
Saw the necro-thread revival about swapping to a diesel engine in an 8N, and while I'm not at all arguing for doing such a thing as I agree - waste of time, money, and effort. But, I'll admit...it's a thought that has crossed my mind once or twice with my own 8N, largely thinking along the lines of lowering operating RPMs as the lower gear adapter boxes aren't exactly commonly available any more... and it did bring up another thought in my head that I haven't seen touched on in threads like that

Given the relatively lighter weight of a tractor such as that 8N, or really any of these antiques...assuming, just for the sake of argument, that there was some easily obtainable, dirt cheap and bolt in 35-40HP diesel that could be put in one of these things, and the transmission/axle would hold up to the power, would it even be usable power that could be put into the ground? With my own 8N, I've yet to find the limits of power, but have frequently found the limits of traction.

The whole thought somewhat reminds me somewhat of my younger years when I shoved a hot V8 motor into a Pontiac Fiero...getting that power to the ground on tires that actually fit into the wheel wells was a major challenge (though tire technology has improved greatly in the 20 years since doing that). Putting that same V8 into something like a Chevelle or Monte Carlo, despite being a MUCH heavier car, also made a MUCH more enjoyable driving experience. When I look at the videos of guys that have done the V8 conversions on old tractors, I never see them being worked as tractors, and only vaporizing tires or being cruised as show pieces.

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #2  
You should be able to add bigger rear tires or wider or duals. Will the gears and transmission and all hold up, what guessing that would be nearly doubling the hp? Probably would be certainly not sure. How practical this is....would say it is done for same reason anyone does such...hobby, not to really work it. But does not mean not worthwhile. Sure would bet a golf cart to ride around in the neighborhood. Oh, need a good horn and very nice trailer for the riders.

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #3  
When the first N series were converted to flathead V8's it was for working power and they held up well considering.
When the V8's had just a governed 2 barrel carb and had plain work in mind, when they got juiced up well get your wallet out.,
The old funk conversions were decent but some of the new ones are even better such as this;
V-8 Conversion Kit - Awesome Henry

Tractors have been hot rodded by every means possible for work and pleasure.
A great many of the older ag tractors have had big bore kits installed when rebuilt and many diesels have had the pumps turned up just a "bit".
Then you get into the serious "stock" tractor pullers your budget is the limit.

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #4  
Modifying is just for hobbyists and serves no practical purpose in life! ---IF you have the money and time to waste,----go for it!

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #5  
Don't do it! I'm no fan of building Rube Goldbergs. They are costly and worth almost nothing in the end.

Besides, things like MFWD, power reversers, good gear selection, hydro, power steering, remote hydraulics, are all things that we have become accustomed to and lacking on the 8N, despite having new power.

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #6  
At the local Thresheree, there is a guy that has a VERY nice v8 Ford. When he fires it up it does draw a crowd as it sounds so sweet. Here is a video of some other ones:

/ Cost & practicality aside...is it even worth trying to make more power? #7  
I've seen and heard a few of the V8 Fords they do sound good and most of them look good to.